Just snagged a Arisaka Type 99 Series 7

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
Pics coming tomorrow.

Not in bad condition for a "Last Ditch" rifle. Full wood stock, good bore, adjustable sight minus anti-aircraft "wings", etc.... paid $138 total for it. First Jap rifle for the collection. I have British, American, German, Finnish, Soviet, and Yugoslavian WWII rifles but not a Jap gun. Also it has the chrysanthemum (mum).

Now I just need to find some 7.7x58mm.

Would this be the rifle?

Arisaka_Type_99_v2.jpg

Hmmm... where do you think you can find that sort of ammo?

Would this be the rifle?

Arisaka_Type_99_v2.jpg

Hmmm... where do you think you can find that sort of ammo?

Yes, except the "Last Ditch" or Substitute Rifle as they were called were made with less accessories. No Monopod, No Aircraft Sights, cruder made bolt handle and safety.

As for ammo..... Old Western Scrounger has some and I can track some down. It's gonna be costly but I can get it.

Camera isn't working right now.... which sucks because I pulled out all of the other Mil-Surp guns that I own. :(

100_0781.jpg

100_0780.jpg

Series 7 Type 99 Arisaka, Serial Number range 818XX. Made in mid-1944. Pictured with Type 30 Bayonet. Rifle made in the Nagoya Arsenal. Bayonet made in the either at the Tokyo Arsenal prior to 1936 or the Kokura Arsenal after 1936. Still trying to figure that one out, both arsenals used the same markings. Sling is a IMA-USA Nagoya Arsenal reproduction. Rifle is all matching numbers. Bayonet is not... but then again the bayonets were stamped with their own numbers if they were stamped at all.

Rifle had the Mum on it.... it was a bring back apparently. The previous owner stated that it was his father's and he snagged it during the war as a battlefield pickup. No papers sadly.... So I take it with a grain of salt but it's highly possible since it has the mum on it.

Great pictures!
When the Japanese first brought the bolt action rifle to Korea it was deadly. A well trained four man fireteam could destroy a resistance fighter group of up to fifty odd people.

Back