Just a quick question

Clyde Frog

Hi Everyone,

As stated, I've been a long-time lurker and am trying to soak up the most information as possible as I'm going through my enlistment process.

I already know I'll be needing a waiver for exercise-induced asthma after 13. Please don't take this as a "that's perm DQ" because I know. However, I am going to attempt to get a waiver anways. I'm going to try to use the "reliably diagnosed" phrase in AR 40-501, 2-23 as my main point on my side. I've no history of asthma, no recurring symptoms, and was not officially diagnosed and both my doctor and I have talked about it being more due to the winter weather at the time - she gave me an albuterol inhaler to try for a cough I had at the time.

With that said, in your experienced opinions, would it be more beneficial for me to get a written statement from my doctor stating I do not in fact have asthma and am physically fit for enlistment in her professional opinion? With that, if MEPS decides I need a PFT or methacoline challenge, do it then. Or, should I schedule my own methacoline test with a pulmonologist and bring that to my recruiter before I even think of submitting my packet?

I know for the recruits are plentiful right now and needing a waiver is already going to knock me down the totem, but I'm applying anyways.

If it were me, I would do the methacoline challenge now and take the results with you to the recruiter. They may or may not be able to help you, but you can check.

I am with TI on this.
Can´t hurt to show personal initiative and forethought around this matter.

Good luck reaching your goals.
//KJ.

Thank you for the info. I talked to a recruiter today and he said that if I get the test and it shows that I do not have asthma, I'll be able to check "no" for having asthma on the prescreen form because I've no history and have had no recurring symptoms and thus won't need a waiver.

Does this sound accurate to you all?

I don't want to get tagged with fradulent enlistment if, for whatever reason, they pull my medical records down the line.

Last edited:
Thank you for the info. I talked to a recruiter today and he said that if I get the test and it shows that I do not have asthma, I'll be able to check "no" for having asthma on the prescreen form because I've no history and have had no recurring symptoms and thus won't need a waiver.

Does this sound accurate to you all?

I don't want to get tagged with fradulent enlistment if, for whatever reason, they pull my medical records down the line.

Hello Clyde Frog,

I am not so firm on US enlistment standards - but as in any Army - already basic training involves a lot of anavoidable running and PT exercises. As for the German Army you need to run a 2000m in less then 10 min or alternativley 400m in less then 75 seconds - or 200m swimming in less then 6 min.

Now if you can do that - without getting into a resperatory problem - I wouldn't see a problem on your behalf - independent of your medical history. What kind of service are you looking onto?

Regards
Kruska

400 meter in less then 75 seconds ?? I should be set then right, because back when I ran track I could run that in 54 seconds, and im in better shape now then I was back then.

400 meter in less then 75 seconds ?? I should be set then right, because back when I ran track I could run that in 54 seconds, and im in better shape now then I was back then.
Hello FutureArmyDriver,

you sure?! it's "m" not yards :D. A fellow who is quite fit but not into regular sprinting will run a 100m in about 13 seconds x 4 = 52, but usually after 150m you will tire down a lot, so the next 100m will be around 15 and then 18 and the last one is at around 20s. which would total up to around 66s.
If you can or could do it in 54s - I will say respect, respect :)

It's an overall test in the German army - so some are better in swimming (I did 200m in less then 3.4 min) even though the given time is 6 min - whilst others are good runners - however I would have lost out to those guy's running the 2000m - and those fellows didn't have a chance against me in swimming. So I would say it is a very balanced PT test.

Regards
Kruska

Last edited:
Hello Clyde Frog,

I am not so firm on US enlistment standards - but as in any Army - already basic training involves a lot of anavoidable running and PT exercises. As for the German Army you need to run a 2000m in less then 10 min or alternativley 400m in less then 75 seconds - or 200m swimming in less then 6 min.

Now if you can do that - without getting into a resperatory problem - I wouldn't see a problem on your behalf - independent of your medical history. What kind of service are you looking onto?

Regards
Kruska

Looking at the U.S. Army, Military Police. I think I'll be fine, I think I'm just over worrying! Thank you for the info.

Looking at the U.S. Army, Military Police. I think I'll be fine, I think I'm just over worrying! Thank you for the info.
Hello Clyde Frog,

MP - oh boy your in for some real hard workouts :D - wish you all the best and for the recruting interview - just be natural as you are - no stunts and big talk- always pay's off ;)

Regards
Kruska

Back