Is it just me..

Is it just me, or are all Russian equipment considered by people here "Obsolete"?

I mean sure, lots of it is. A third of their MiG-29's cant even get up into the air, but they are of course, not in the 90's anymore.

Not to mention that Russia has one hell of a small arms industry [Producing classics like the PP-2000]

I don't think is obsolete...it's just never been tested with a quality army in battle. You'd have to take top of the line, no watered down export versions from the russian army and put that stuff to the test. With that said western tech is just as good, if not superior, imo.

Is it just me, or are all Russian equipment considered by people here "Obsolete"?

I mean sure, lots of it is. A third of their MiG-29's cant even get up into the air, but they are of course, not in the 90's anymore.

Not to mention that Russia has one hell of a small arms industry [Producing classics like the PP-2000]

I don't think it is obsolete but I think it suffers from poor quality electronics, avionics and optics.
I have little doubt that that Russian small arms and even its artillery is more than adequate but its armor can not compete with modern western vehicles due to the above issues.
The same applies to its aircraft, a friend of mine has flown Western aircraft and Russian ones and his comments are that Russian aircraft are robust in terms of airframes, undercarriage etc. but a pig to fly and about 30 years behind the West in technology.

I don't think it is obsolete but I think it suffers from poor quality electronics, avionics and optics.
I have little doubt that that Russian small arms and even its artillery is more than adequate but its armor can not compete with modern western vehicles due to the above issues.
The same applies to its aircraft, a friend of mine has flown Western aircraft and Russian ones and his comments are that Russian aircraft are robust in terms of airframes, undercarriage etc. but a pig to fly and about 30 years behind the West in technology.

Well, that is I guess true [On the aircraft thing]. As I said before, a third of their MiG-29's cant even take off [Though they will probably be modernised to MiG-35 standard].
But Su/MiG-35 are different alltogether.

I agree with Monty here but I doubt they're that far behind. I think most weapons and vehicles (land, air and even sea) suffer from misplaced design priorities, concepts and bureucracy reminiscent of the Soviet/Cold War era, that naturally inhibits the growth of efficiency in certain defense industry sectors. But I do observe a trend toward improvement and I think given enough time, Russian gear WILL be on par with most of their Western counterparts.

Simply an inevitable outcome of globalization...

Last edited:
Russia are trying to gear it´s rather large formations of cannon fodder into a rapid moving effective battlemachine.
And they try to do so without spending.
Well too little too late IMO.

It takes years to perfect that type of professional force and they started just recently.

As they don´t want to spend they are dusting off old designs, slapping a few more antennas on them and call them new designes able to compete with western material.
The only ones falling for that argument are it´s own population and maybe someone who haven´t seen the kit in action.

Now I am not saying all Russian kit is bad.
Allready mentioned examples were the Russians can match if not surpass western kit is the AK-47, AK-74 (with all it´s faults) and the AKM,s.
Hind is arguably the most bang for the buck allaround helicopter out there and combined with the MI-17 Helicopter still a respectable adversary/allied.
But these are all older models that have been tested and proven.
None of the newer kit have entered the digital battlefield completely, nor do I know of any models planned to beyond a few prototypes.

Stealth and UAV,s are other important areas were Russia have failed to produce anything that can compete.
MUST has a VERY good grasp on Russian radar capabilities.
It was among other things used for the research and development of the Gripen fighter.
The c/s of the Gripen gives it an edge over the newer Russian fighters out there..

//KJ.

What KJ said is pretty much dead on the money.
A shift in strategy also means a shift in the type of kit to be issued.
A lot of things come into play and it takes a lot of time to make that shift in terms of training and equipment.

Back