maybe 2 15.38%
no 3 23.08%
yes 8 61.54%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

--

May 13th, 2004  
Achilles

Topic: is it just me?

Is it just me or is the government being given more and more power?
May 13th, 2004  
Marksman

Totaly and sometimes they lose control.......
May 14th, 2004  
FutureRANGER

I think thats the purpose of a government. To have power. Total and absolute power, but only for the good guys.
--
May 14th, 2004  
Eric

That is scary....
Toatal and absolute power and only for the good guys!

Like in China or former USSR? The good guys had to be members of the Party!
Like Cambodia under Pol Pot?
like Germany under Hitler, Italy-Mussolini, Spain-Franco, Cuba-castro, Iraq-Saddam....???
May 14th, 2004  
Achilles

futere ranger, your a great fellow, but i hope that your only joking, i mean, total and absolute power, even for good guys is pretty lib.
May 14th, 2004  
Marksman

Totaly agreed there About face,absolute power dosen't fit in no ones hands
May 14th, 2004  
Achilles

government for the people, by the people, and of the people.
May 14th, 2004  
Eric

"government for the people, by the people, and of the people."
Isn't it what it is supposed to be about, what we stand for?
Sure, trying to sell it to countries like IRAQ is kind of arrogant....but maybe worth a try?
Personnaly, taking Former Yugoslavia or Iraq to the parking lot of democracy models for them to choose and believing they are going to buy one and just drive it away, right there, immediately, is kind of utopic!

But I'd rather believe in that than dictatorship.
May 14th, 2004  
levnbush

No face, it is just you.
May 14th, 2004  
FutureRANGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureRANGER
I think thats the purpose of a government. To have power. Total and absolute power, but only for the good guys.
Hmm that came out very wrong.... Not sure what I was thinking when I wrote it. I'd like to retract that and replace it with a sane estimation.

The government should be able to make decisions for the good of the people, even if it isn't popular amongst the people. Emphasis on should. However, thats not possible because the most important thing to ruling political parties is to remain popular. Theres something to be said for monarchy...