Just joined - UK.

Fred_Bear

Hi

I am 51 years of age, my only military experience was in the Territorial Army in my late teens / early 20's (my avatar is from then). Have worked for HM Customs & Excise for almost 30 years, part of that was doing uniformed Customs work at a port but now just office based. I may have aged slightly and put on a few pounds since the avatar pic was taken!!

My interests are WW1, sniping & snipers (history of), general history, shooting (air rifle), and bushcraft / survival. I have found some really interesting and well informed posts here so thought I would join and introduce myself.

I live and work in SE Essex, UK.

All the best.

Fred

Hi
I live and work in SE Essex, UK.

All the best.

Fred

Welcome Fred.

I lived in South Woodham Ferrers in Essex before moving to South Africa. Both of my kids were born in St Johns Hospital in Chelsford.

I too was in the TA, 215 Squadron RCT at Grays.

Welcome Fred.

I lived in South Woodham Ferrers in Essex before moving to South Africa. Both of my kids were born in St Johns Hospital in Chelsford.

I too was in the TA, 215 Squadron RCT at Grays.

Hi,

I was at the Para Reg Mortar Platoon in Leigh-on-Sea. Unfortunately a lower back (and neck!) problem rather curtailed parachuting etc. and pretty much stopped any hope of Forces service.

I used to often go through Woodham on my bike when going to Burham.

Is there any way (I have tried search) I can find if there are others interested in sniping and the history of sniping (primarily rifle but obviously the origins go back much further)?

All the best.

Fred (Southend, Essex, UK)

Hi,

I was at the Para Reg Mortar Platoon in Leigh-on-Sea. Unfortunately a lower back (and neck!) problem rather curtailed parachuting etc. and pretty much stopped any hope of Forces service.

I used to often go through Woodham on my bike when going to Burham.

Is there any way (I have tried search) I can find if there are others interested in sniping and the history of sniping (primarily rifle but obviously the origins go back much further)?

All the best.

Fred (Southend, Essex, UK)

I reckon there should be a few bloke's interested in sniping on this forum. I remember a few years ago when Lee Enfield Number 4 T's were being sold off for a song, if I remember correctly they were going for between a fiver and eight quid. Nowadays if you can get a good'un your looking at over a grand +.

A buddy here in SA built his own Number 4 T, he got the correct scope and mount, a Number 4 Mk1, cheek piece, correct sling, the lot. Although not a genuine sniper it looks pretty good. I've got a few bog standard Lee's from Number 1 Mk3* and a couple number 4's. My son has a mint number Mk3 with magazine cut off built by BSA. Not bad rifles.

215 Sdn RCT had a troop at Leigh on Sea, but the Squadron was disbanded in 1993 if I recall. Pity as it was a good squadron.

A buddy here in SA built his own Number 4 T, he got the correct scope and mount, a Number 4 Mk1, cheek piece, correct sling, the lot. Although not a genuine sniper it looks pretty good. I've got a few bog standard Lee's from Number 1 Mk3* and a couple number 4's. My son has a mint number Mk3 with magazine cut off built by BSA. Not bad rifles.

215 Sdn RCT had a troop at Leigh on Sea, but the Squadron was disbanded in 1993 if I recall. Pity as it was a good squadron.

Hi

I think the Mortar Platoon went in 95. Cutting costs I expect! Lets open bank accounts for 2 year olds instead of investing in the Countries defence (no more moaning).

Are there pictures of your friends rifles I could have a look at?

Thanks

Regards
Fred

Are there pictures of your friends rifles I could have a look at?

The bloke is in Iraq at the moment working for a VIP protection company. When I see him again I'll ask him for some pics.

He was a dog handler in the SA Police, he quit and went to Iraq as it paid a damn site more money.

I can always post a pic of my South Africa semi auto copy of the Galil fitted with a Zeiss 4x32 scope. Not exactly sniper quility, but it would scare the crap out of someone under 300 meters.

Last edited:
Back