Just got a S&W Model 59.... pics coming soon.

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
I just got a Smith & Wesson Model 59 Nickel Finish in very good condition for $250 from my Best Friend's Father. He's had it since the Late 70's and sold it to me. Since he is a good friend of mine I gave him what the book based it at.

I shot it today at the range with the two factory 14rd magazines. I shot a mixture of ball and JHP through it and not one single hiccup. Winchester Silver Tip, Speer Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger SXT, Winchester White Box JHP, CCI JHP, etc.... I had a ton of old surplus department ammo that was rusting away and the Model 59 feed and fired every round. Not a single FTE or FTF. The magazines and firearm worked 100%. I only had to failures to fire and both were ammo related. Hard Primers and when I pulled the trigger again in double action mode they went off.

Pictures coming soon.... to give you an idea here is what it looks like. But this photo is not of mine.

pix301724921.jpg

pix301724812.jpg

And if anyone remember I purchased and sold a generation 3 S&W Model 5906. the pistol design that replaced the S&W Model 59. Here are photos of that one so you can see the difference between the Model 59 and the Model 5906. I like the Model 59 more then the Modl 5906 that I had.... much smoother trigger and also looks classy. Only gripe is that it does not have the low proflie Novak Combat sights but that's a minor issue. the Model 59 has a good pair of irons anyways.

sw5906u877.jpg

Last edited:
That model 5906 is probably what the Daewoo DP51 was modelled after...

A little bit but the cool thing is that the Daewoo DP51 can take and use S&W Model 5906 magazines and the fast action hammer system on the Daewoo DP51 is also pretty cool. They're rare here in the states and I've only handled about three of them in my life. I wouldn't mind owning one if I could get my hands on one just for the collection.

Very nice, 5.56! Very nice indeed! And a great price for that gun, too.

Just make CERTAIN (and I am sure you know this) to pay particular attention to the external extractor and its arm. Even a little bit of grit behind it will stovepipe shells - or, at least it does on the Gen II Kimbers.

What's the DA pull # on it?

Post some range reports - group size, etc?

I just bought a Kahr 9mm, CW9093. I paid $100 less than the KP9093 simply because I couldn't justify the match grade rifling and dovetail front sight. The CW has a pinned polymer front sight which is okay for a belly gun. I don't forsee any use for it over 15-20 yards. The only smaller carry pistol I saw was a Kel-Tek but it just didn't measure up to the Kahr quality.

Back