Just got my S&W M&P .45 pistol (New Gun)

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
1.jpg

Well, I got it today and man do I love this pistol. 10+1 rounds of 230gr .45 ACP Winchester Ranger SXT JHP in a pistol that is the same size and weight as my GLOCK 17 or GLOCK 22.

Also I figured that I would take a picture with some of my other S&W products.

Last edited:
You seem to be quite the S&W fan. Can't say that I blame you, they are one of the best in the Handgun and knife business.:thumb:

I have haven't had the chance to handle an M&P. Hows it handle,Muzzle flip, trigger pull etc? I've never really been a fan of S&W autos since I had to carry a 5906.

I have haven't had the chance to handle an M&P. Hows it handle,Muzzle flip, trigger pull etc? I've never really been a fan of S&W autos since I had to carry a 5906.

Well, I owned a S&W Model 5906 for a total of two weeks. I enjoyed that little gun. Heavy but built like a rock. Shot great, etc.... I sold it because someone made me an offer that I could not refuse.

As for the S&W M&P series. This is my first purchase of that series. I think that S&W made a great product. lightweight, well designed, fits the hand like a glove, good sights, well priced, etc....

I have yet to shoot mine. That will be more then likely this Wednesday.

I'm a huge GLOCK fan. I think they're the best thing since sliced bread. So for this pistol to really catch my attention it has to be a well built pistol. With muzzle flip, it doesn't seem like there is going to be much. It has a very low bore axis so that translates into low muzzle flip and recoil.

The design is much like a GLOCK, very simple and strong. Trigger pull is around a smooth crisp six pounds. Magazine capacity is ten rounds for a .45 ACP gun. The grip profile is like that of a 9mm auto. Not very think, fits really well. Also, it comes with three different back straps. Small, Medium, and Large. I have the small back strap on my pistol. It comes with factory Novak combat sights. You can get factory Novak Night sights for it. Also it comes in four flavors (.45 ACP Model). You can get it with a built in key lock, manual safety, magazine disconnect, or with nothing. You can mix and match the additional features if you want.

I got mine with nothing. It has three safeties already. Just like the GLOCK. It has a trigger safety, firing pin block, and drop safety. I carry GLOCK, train with GLOCK, etc.... So there is no change in my training and muscle memory.

I'm sold on this gun. I think that S&W can once again enter the law enforcement / military market. They have a real winner on their hands. Lastly, it's made by Americans, in American, by an American owned Company, for sell in America.

Think I'll have to check it out. Our SOT is looking for a fullsize .45 ACP to standardize as of now we carry what we buy 1911's, Glocks, 4506's etc.
I'm on the eval board so give me a heads up on it's performance.

Roger that.... Tomorrow I should be taking it out to the range and I run it through the state leo qualification course. Then I punish it until one of two things happen.

1. It works like a charm.
2. It craps out on me.

I'll let you know.

RANGE REPORT

It's official I am a fully in love with the S&W M&P 45. This was one accurate .45. Very little recoil. At the seven and 15 yard line I was punching out large raged holes. I put over 300rds today. 250 were 230gr FMJ and the rest was 230gr Winchester Ranger SXT LEO Only JHP. Not a single malfunction or failure. It worked....

I'm a huge GLOCK fan, so for this pistol to win me over means that Smith & Wesson did something right.

I don't have a holster for it yet. As of right know I use a universal Yaqui style leather holster. It's just a leather panel with belt loops cut into it. It does not print at all. But that all depends on the way that you dress.

As this is going to probably be a transition weapon for the purposes I'm looking at it. Primary will be an MP-5 or M-4 . I'd like your opinion on how well it would draw from a drop leg or vest holster during a transition. You know drag with sights, bad grip ergonomics, wieght etc.

Need info to get my capt. to approve a request for our vendor. Ya know how suits are.:lol:

Well, the sights are Novaks. Well made for repeated holster draw. It's a little front heavy but that's only when you have a empty magazine. The front of the slide is contoured to allow to be easily reinserted into a holster.

I'm not a fan of vest holsters so I will not give you any opinions.

As for a drop leg, I don't see any issue with it. I don't have a rig for it yet. But there are companies making duty rig holsters for it. The civilian CCW side of the market is playing catch up.

The grip is very well in my opinion also. Take a little to get used to if you're a big GLOCK shooter. But if you handle traditional semi-autos like a Beretta 92FS then I don't see an issue. I'm just used to a big square in my hands with finger grooves. The M&P45 is a nice contoured rounded grip without any finger grooves. But that can all be changed with a slip on rubber grip.

Just to let you know. We tested a .45 & .40 M&P last week. The .45 has been selected and blessed. It will be an officer purschase item but it'll be kicked back on taxes.

Nice piece me likes.

Just to let you know. We tested a .45 & .40 M&P last week. The .45 has been selected and blessed. It will be an officer purschase item but it'll be kicked back on taxes.

Nice piece me likes.

Welcome tot he world of the M&P.... I love it. I still carry my GLOCK 22 on Duty but if I could I would also carry my M&P .45 in a heart beat.

How is the trigger pull? One of my friends shot one and said he loved it except for the pull.

If it was a new pistol it needs to be teethed in. Most new firearms have a breaking in period. Usually a couple hundred rounds. They have factory oils with are a little thicker to protect the firearm during shipment and storage. They might have some metal shavings in the action and also the parts might have burrs and edges that will be smoothed out by the action being worked over through use.

Last edited:
Back