Just curious

One of those oddities of life really.

Like in Australia, I can (and at the end of the year will) join the Army at 17, learn to fight for my country
But I cannot touch a drop of alcohol or vote, for another 12 months.

you can drink at 18 in parts of Texas and duty stations overseas.

As far as I see it, underaged people drink more than those of age in the military. Since I was an 18 year old private, I definately hold true to the saying above.

The old rule of thumb is "don't get caught."

I was just wondering aren't the drinking laws state laws? If they are doesn't that mean they don't apply to on base? Anyways, I just think it is dumb you go risk your life fighting and you can have a drink before you go and after you are done. I just find this insulting

We always just drank beer on post except for "hot battery" during the Cuban crisis. Man was I glad to see that end.

I live in the Republic of Texas, and there is no place were you can legally drink at 18. I think that place is called Mexico. :cowb:

Its weird, in UK you can drive from 17+ yet you cant drink until your 18+, surely driving is more dangerous than drinking? Not that im complaining, lol, i can do both! Here you can have a drink from 14+ as long as your eating a meal

interesting..... why dont they make it 16? well, maybe not, but seriously, 21? we have way too many dumb laws in the USA

Italian Guy said:
This IS weirdness. We have no drinking age.

So let me get this straight, a 15 year old kid can walk around with a bottle of whiskey in his hand, and drink it? Thats awesome, so am I to understand the girls are all drunk?

21 in america is a joke alright especially seen as ye can drive at 16. I reckon they should put the driving age up and the drinkin age down. Here its 18 for drinking and 17 for driving. Which is right i think.
your legally an adult at 18 so you should be able to make your decisions on drinking, i got back from states 3 weeks ago, im not 21 for a month it was absolutely terrible. Ive been drinking at home for yrs so it was real different been told no your 2 young :p Plus im a student lol
Only place that served me was the irish bars, god bless ye ;)

FutureDevilDog said:
Italian Guy said:
This IS weirdness. We have no drinking age.

So let me get this straight, a 15 year old kid can walk around with a bottle of whiskey in his hand, and drink it? Thats awesome, so am I to understand the girls are all drunk?

Uhm answer to your first question is a loud YES, and to the second is a not always. I mean once you know you can drink and you can get drunk anytime you want, well you know would you get drunk everyday?
Anyways yeah I used to drink all sort of stuff with my buddies at 15, sure.

Thats awesome. If me and my buddies would want to have a drink its a big process of finding someone old enough to buy it, finding a safe place to do it thats free of police or mean civilians who will call them, and finding a place to go when your drunk. Its horrible. It sometimes takes like an hour to fnd someone to get your booze.

cpl_clarke said:
Thats awesome. If me and my buddies would want to have a drink its a big process of finding someone old enough to buy it, finding a safe place to do it thats free of police or mean civilians who will call them, and finding a place to go when your drunk. Its horrible. It sometimes takes like an hour to fnd someone to get your booze.

Yeah but then we can't drive until we are 18...

ACTaFOOL82 said:
I live in the Republic of Texas, and there is no place were you can legally drink at 18. I think that place is called Mexico. :cowb:

wrong, if your 18 and within eyesight of your parent, you can legally drink in texas

Back