Just curious about allies..

I would say that England and Israel are two of our closest allies. As far as importance... well, that would be harder for me to decide.

I always think of Canada as part of the "US" (as in Northern America). But if you are just going by countries... then I would definately count them in!

Are we talking about traditional allies? Or just countries listed as allies at the present moment?

I know england is one of the important ones
England is merely one of the nations that make up the country know as the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, commonly referred too as either the UK or Britain.
Calling this nation, England, doesn't bother me because I'm English, but it does cause offense to the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish members :(

England is merely one of the nations that make up the country know as the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, commonly referred too as either the UK or Britain.
Calling this nation, England, doesn't bother me because I'm English, but it does cause offense to the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish members :(

Well of course Scotland and Wales now have their own devolved Parliaments, and strive to maintain the differences; the English in the streets are happy to encourage their ambitions in this direction.

Militarily, all these guys have proved themselves fantastic in their fighting qualities and have been stouthearted comrades.

When the English sang 'There'll Always be an England' the Scottish soldiers would sing the next line - altering it to 'As long as Scotsmen Fight' ! Surely a truism. Long may the Brits remain side by side.

Speaking of scottish and the british empire. yes i know its off-topic. But its somhow related and really funny.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB6yzhoOjH0

Hey Sherman, like all Billy's observations, that is spot on - History.

It describes my regiment exactly, The Highland Light Infantry, City of Glasgow Regiment. Years and years in that region. That is precisely what the pipes are for, and my stepfather spent 10 years there. He had all those situations recorded in his photo album; wish I had it now. The Bn winding up through that very pass on foot, terrain too rocky for trenches or shell scrapes, runners continually scaling the heights around them, running diagonally up to top and diagonally down; as they finished their return run, another took off. And with the pipes always went the bayonet. They were not Highland, not Light Infantry, as they had a support company for m/c guns and mortars when they arrived; those titles and the Inmdian elephant on their cap badges were all earned Battle honours. And were they a little mad - certainly; that is why they were feared wherever they fought, and banned wherever they were based at home.

They are now The Royal Highland Fusiliers. You can believe Billy on this one, he is from Glasgow.

Last edited:
Operation Enduring Freedom. I think most nations have their own names for their operations in Afghanistan so saying the War in Afghanistan would be better. The Australian one is Op Slipper, we don't really go for the fanciful names that the Americans do.

Back