Just curious about allies.. - Page 4

--

April 6th, 2009  
A Can of Man

You speak like the military is allowed to have a mind of its own.
No, the government decides, the military is the fall guy. Always.
April 6th, 2009  
AZ_Infantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
Then to what end do you equate a coup? Or the murmurs of one here?
April 6th, 2009  
Fox

If it's government or not, then the NATO-member countries are our best allies.
--
April 7th, 2009  
ObjSRgtLw

Quote:
This is SO true for Germany, and people just don't get it. Blaming the military for anything is blaming YOURSELF! We are just servants doing what politicians say is right nothing more and nothing less... it's quite simple but most people seem too stupid... (no offense to anyone here... I'm just expressing my displeasure about left radical/ peace groups fighting the Military in Germany and elsewhere)
April 15th, 2009  
Del Boy

With you all the way on that!
April 15th, 2009  
A Can of Man

For some reason the press and the media (movies etc) make it look like the military has its own secret motives and has all these top secret programs no one outside knows about etc etc etc. but it's largely BS.
The order comes from the government.
The military follows it.
If something goes wrong for whatever reason, the military is to blame and the guys who issued to orders are no where in sight.
Protesting outside an Army base because you're against a deployment just confirms your own ignorance. But it happens a lot.
Coups happen in countries where the military does have major legal authority. In Indonesia, the half of the parliament used to be military. I don't know about now but that's the way it used to be. Half or quarter... I can't remember but their mission included defending the country politically as well as militarily.
April 15th, 2009  
KJ

Quote:
For some reason the press and the media (movies etc) make it look like the military has its own secret motives and has all these top secret programs no one outside knows about etc etc etc. but it's largely BS.
The order comes from the government.
The military follows it.
If something goes wrong for whatever reason, the military is to blame and the guys who issued to orders are no where in sight.
Protesting outside an Army base because you're against a deployment just confirms your own ignorance. But it happens a lot.
Coups happen in countries where the military does have major legal authority. In Indonesia, the half of the parliament used to be military. I don't know about now but that's the way it used to be. Half or quarter... I can't remember but their mission included defending the country politically as well as militarily.
Well in some cases the miitary carry out ehmm programs that are not sanctioned by the parliment of a nation but a rather small circle of goverment.

Two instances that imediatly come to mind are Operation ARTEMIS and some ARTUR radars being shipped to Iraq complete with "advisors".

Both operations have since then become declassified..At least partially so.
April 15th, 2009  
A Can of Man

Yeah but it still comes from the government, which is my point.