Just a Couple of ?'s for those who can answer them!

XxAdriesseNHARNG892xX

Ok..So heres my deal...
I have planned on enlisting in the NHARNG (New Hampshire Army National Guard) for a long while now and then I became engaged. My Questions are as follows:
1) Is it possible to enlist in the NHARNG and go to BCT and AIT after I graduate high school in June 2007 and then transfer to FLNG(Florida National Guard) after AIT?
2) If so how long would this take?
3) I plan on doing the college first program and I was wondering what this consists of? Is this for any MOS in any state? What exactly is college first?
4) If I go under the college first program with the guard does this mean that I have to go to college in that state? If I enlist under the NHARNG does this mean I can transfer to FL and go to college there. I plan on going to Miami Dade Community College and University. That is in Miami-Dade FL
5) Can I transfer a 2 yr college to a 4 yr college and still do ROTC? Will the college benifits still pay 100% tuition?
6) What is RSP and what does this consist of?
7) Deployments-how long usually? What are the Most MOS's that get eployed? Is there any that do not??
8) What is the ASVAB like? Is it hard? What is the minimum score? What is the maximum score?
9) If I am having trouble finanically will the guard help me and my fiance out?
10) what is the 20,000$ used for and when do you get it?
11) For Basic Training what is the real difference vs AIT? Where do MP's or Medics go for both? How long? What do you do at BCT? Can you write home?
12) Weight issues-I weight 190lbs and am 5'4" according to my reserch I have seen different charts that say 130lbs is the max I have to be or 150 is the max. Can someone help me out on this? Because I would like to enlist in October but it is physiacally impossible to loose 60-90 lbs in less then 2 mths.
13) APFT- What does this consist of? What time limits are for what?
14) P.T.- What can I do to improve at my pushups? What can I do to improve during P.T.? What do you do during P.T.? Is it like jumping jacks? Flutter kicks? Is there a time limit?
15) Do you have trainings 1ce a month or 2ce a month?
16) What happens if I can not meet the weight requirements?? Will I be tagged as DEP? Can I apply for a waiver? I mean I can do everythng that they ask me to do...because I am a cadet PFC with the American Cadet Alliance I just dont know if I wont meet the requirements and I dont think it is fair that they disqualify me for that either.
17) I run 1 mile, walk 1 mile, do 80 pushups and 80 situps is this enough to be doing in 40 mins flat? Or should I do more?
18) In BCT are the females treated any different than males? Are the females allowed to do girly pushups??

I would appreciate any ones input on this topic because I really think that this will depend on my enlistment and whether or not I wait to enlist until I get to FL. Please help me! My Fiance and I need these ?'s answered please!!

:salute:

I will only answer what I am 100% sure on (by 100% I mean I have done it).

1) Yes.
2) Too long (mine took 7 months).
3) idk
4) idk
5) To be in ROTC you need to be in a traditional 4yr university in an APPROVED degree program. I suggest you research the Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP).
6) idk
7) If you're worried about deployment, don't enlist. It's a fact of life in the military; if they need to send you, they will send you.
8- The ASVAB is mostly common sense.
9) idk
10) idk
11) For MPs, they go to OSUT at Ft. Leonard Wood. For AIT, medics go to Ft. Sam Houston. I don't know where they would go for BCT, we had a few at Ft. Sill.
12) idk
13) 2 min push ups, 2 min sit-ups, 2 mile run.
14) Focus on the proper technique for each exercise. Quality over quantity.
15) You would drill once a month.
16) Standards are there for a reason, if you don't meet the standard, only you are to blame.
17) Do A LOT more.
18- "Girly" push ups? You can't be serious.

If I sound harsh, then maybe the military isn't right for you. Standards are there to keep you and your battle buddies safe and mission capable.

A lot of these questions can be answered from a recruiter, and a little research on your own.

Lastly: You're 17, engaged, not even a HS grad, and you want to complicate your life by enlisting while NOT deploying, and going to college? I applaud you're desire to serve, but I think you are trying to do too much in such a little time, and trying to "Have it Your Way." This is not Burger King. If you want to be in ROTC on the medical side, I suggest looking into an ROTC scholarship for nursing. If you finish college, you will have a commission as a nursing officer. Good luck.

Last edited:
I will only answer what I am 100% sure on (by 100% I mean I have done it).

1) Yes.
2) Too long (mine took 7 months).
3) idk
4) idk
5) To be in ROTC you need to be in a traditional 4yr university in an APPROVED degree program. I suggest you research the Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP).
6) idk
7) If you're worried about deployment, don't enlist. It's a fact of life in the military; if they need to send you, they will send you.
8- The ASVAB is mostly common sense.
9) idk
10) idk
11) For MPs, they go to OSUT at Ft. Leonard Wood. For AIT, medics go to Ft. Sam Houston. I don't know where they would go for BCT, we had a few at Ft. Sill.
12) idk
13) 2 min push ups, 2 min sit-ups, 2 mile run.
14) Focus on the proper technique for each exercise. Quality over quantity.
15) You would drill once a month.
16) Standards are there for a reason, if you don't meet the standard, only you are to blame.
17) Do A LOT more.
18- "Girly" push ups? You can't be serious.

If I sound harsh, then maybe the military isn't right for you. Standards are there to keep you and your battle buddies safe and mission capable.

No...Your not sounding harsh at all. I understand that there are rules and regulations for a reason. Some people are just not that good at some things unlike others. I am not worried about deployment it is just a concern that my fiance has so I figured I'd ask around. I have wanted to be in the military for a while (age 8 and I am now almost 17 and about to enlist. I just want to make sure and double check on some things before I go ahead with it. I will check out SMP. I understand standards are there for a reason....but I am overwight and am currently working on that. I just dont think that it is physically possible to loose 60lbs in 2 months and also..I am in 2 Cadet programs and if I am able to do all of the same stuff that the guard requires us to do in a Cadet program then why would they not let me in. I just think it may be a bit discriminatory because I am a little big up top (pm me to know exactly what I mean) and no matter what I try to do or what diets or excercise I do I cant seem to drop to 130 like the enlistment weight says. I am currently 190 so thats kinda hard to do. I run 1 mile walk 1 mile do 80 pushups and 80 situps every day. My lowest time for all of that was 40 minutes which is prettyy decent. I also do things like PT (flutter kicks leg lifts things of that sort) and that still is not getting me there. As far as girly pushups I was going to ask this either way because I know that they were not allowed but it is always good to check your infor ahead of time and I am working on my upper body strength. Thank you for your input and advice. I appreciate it. No worried here. You were not harsh.:tank:

I have planned on enlisting in the NHARNG (New Hampshire Army National Guard) for a long while now and then I became engaged. My Questions are as follows:

My answers are in bold below your questions.

1) Is it possible to enlist in the NHARNG and go to BCT and AIT after I graduate high school in June 2007 and then transfer to FLNG(Florida National Guard) after AIT?

Ask your recruiter.

2) If so how long would this take?

Ask your recruiter.

3) I plan on doing the college first program and I was wondering what this consists of? Is this for any MOS in any state? What exactly is college first?

Ask your recruiter.

4) If I go under the college first program with the guard does this mean that I have to go to college in that state? If I enlist under the NHARNG does this mean I can transfer to FL and go to college there. I plan on going to Miami Dade Community College and University. That is in Miami-Dade FL

Ask your recruiter.

5) Can I transfer a 2 yr college to a 4 yr college and still do ROTC? Will the college benifits still pay 100% tuition?

Ask your recruiter.

6) What is RSP and what does this consist of?

Ask your recruiter.

7) Deployments-how long usually? What are the Most MOS's that get deployed? Is there any that do not??

If you sign the papers and take the oath you are on tap for what the guard needs, pure and simple.

8) What is the ASVAB like? Is it hard? What is the minimum score? What is the maximum score?

It is like any other test you might take. Ask your recruiter. Ask your recruiter.

9) If I am having trouble finanically will the guard help me and my fiance out?

Probably not.

10) What is the $20,000 used for and when do you get it?

Ask your recruiter.

11) For Basic Training what is the real difference vs AIT? Where do MP's or Medics go for both? How long? What do you do at BCT? Can you write home?

Ask your recruiter.

12) Weight issues-I weight 190lbs and am 5'4" according to my reserch I have seen different charts that say 130lbs is the max I have to be or 150 is the max. Can someone help me out on this? Because I would like to enlist in October but it is physiacally impossible to loose 60-90 lbs in less then 2 mths.

Not safely. I’d say that if you are that much overweight they will make you get much closer to regulations before they will even let you sign up.

13) APFT- What does this consist of? What time limits are for what?

Ask your recruiter.

14) P.T.- What can I do to improve at my pushups? What can I do to improve during P.T.? What do you do during P.T.? Is it like jumping jacks? Flutter kicks? Is there a time limit?

In the Navy there is a time limit, I don’t know about the NG. I always found that to do more pushups you work your upper body (mostly by doing more pushups on a daily basis).

15) Do you have trainings 1ce a month or 2ce a month?

Ask your recruiter.

16) What happens if I can not meet the weight requirements?? Will I be tagged as DEP? Can I apply for a waiver? I mean I can do everythng that they ask me to do...because I am a cadet PFC with the American Cadet Alliance I just dont know if I wont meet the requirements and I dont think it is fair that they disqualify me for that either.

Ask your recruiter.

17) I run 1 mile, walk 1 mile, do 80 pushups and 80 situps is this enough to be doing in 40 mins flat? Or should I do more?

In my Navy experience you would fail the PT if you took that long to complete your session. During my active duty time we had to do our Pushups and curl ups each in 120 seconds. You were scored on those two by how many you accomplished in the time frame. Immediately after those two exercises we had to do the 1 ½ mile run under a prescribed time based on age. If you can’t run the 2 miles in under 20 minutes you are screwed is my guess. I’d ask your recruiter what the time frame is for your age.

18) In BCT are the females treated any different than males? Are the females allowed to do girly pushups??

Again, in my Navy experience the women had to do fewer pushups, but had to do them as the men had to do them. Again, I’d ask your recruiter.

Back