Just a bit of Aussie pride coming through

beatentrails

I was just going through some thread history when I came across the one which read ''World's best soldier'' from last March.
There were posts about saying:
Delta Force
Ghurkas
British SAS
Navy SEALS
Even the Greek Spartans came up who achieved 70/1 kill ratios.

However nobody even came close to mentioning the Aussie SASR.

What is so remakarble about the SASR is their record in modern warfare.

Their results in Vietnam were unparrallelled in any historical ground force combat role. Here's a quote.

SASR Squadrons rotated through Vietnam on one year long deployments until the last Squadron was withdrawn in October 1971. During its time in Vietnam the Regiment was extremely successful in the reconnaissance role and, reportedly, achieved a 500 to 1 kill ratio against Vietnamese Communist forces. Members of the Regiment became known as 'Phantoms of the Jungle' to Vietnamese Communist forces, attributed to their cunning and fieldcraft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SASR

Just a touch of pride coming through for the Aussie Hard Men.
Any other stunning feats like this in today's millitary?

Round of applause for the SASR and for aussie pride well done m8. Makes us wish we had kept our convicts now if you all fight like that lol:pirate2: :pirate2:

They're so tough........

Here's a few stupid things I've heard in bars when talking to other guys about SARS.
Good stuff.

''I hear that when they fart on patrol, they bag it and use it as explosives on Recon targets!"

''they're so tough, they use their heads to hammer in their tent pegs''

''their stare is so tough, they could kill a man.................through their scope.............................at a 1000 paces!''

''They're so hard, they brush their teeth with steel wool.''

'' they're so strong, they carry their LRRV (Long Range Recon. Vehicle) back with 'em.''

''they're so tough, that when they get shot at, the bullet doesn't hit them, they hit the bullet.''

''They're so big, when they jump into water, they don't get wet, the water gets SARS''.

SARS was the bad thing that kills people after they have been on a plane
SASR are the people who kill the bad things in planes

Ha, I love it. Those stupid quotes are so tacky. But cheers for acknowledging the SAS for what they are, and what they do.

''SARS was the bad thing that kills people after they have been on a plane''

Yeah sorry about that. I having been writing a paper for the past 3 months concering the SASR and to get home and look at my post saying ''SARS'' was rather embarrasing. I knew someone had to pick up on it.
Nice correction though.

As for you AussieNick, well, sorry 'bout the quotes but I love 'em too. I have a lot of pride for the SASR for the simple reason that most of what they do is never documented therefore unacknowledged. Kinda tough putting your lifew on the line knowing that most people at home aren't even aware of the sacrifice.
Just a thought.

Back