Is it just all bluff?

What the... this would also show other potential war candidates that aggressiv action isn't that far from becoming true... i think this would have very huge consequences, as for Germany i think i know on which side we'll have to stand... but if you can speak of a ww3 that depends on the reaction of Iran and other countries. If it comes to combat it will be hell...

What the... this would also show other potential war candidates that aggressiv action isn't that far from becoming true... i think this would have very huge consequences, as for Germany i think i know on which side we'll have to stand... but if you can speak of a ww3 that depends on the reaction of Iran and other countries. If it comes to combat it will be hell...
If Russia decides to defend their trading partner, Iran, then things could get far too interesting far too quick.

I just hope it's a bluff.

If Russia decides to defend their trading partner, Iran, then things could get far too interesting far too quick.

I just hope it's a bluff.

Nah the global consequences I think are pretty minor in the short term as Russia is not ready for a resumption of the cold war yet.

On top of this even the most ardent of Bush fans should by now realise that there is no way Israel can attack Iran without a lot of physical US support so while Iran will probably fire a few missiles in retaliation and Hezbollah will do what ever they do on a daily basis US assets and support throughout the Middle East will become very hard to manage because this will be a better recruiting poster for every nut job terrorist group than those famous words "Bring it on".

On top of this even the most ardent of Bush fans should by now realise that there is no way Israel can attack Iran without a lot of physical US support so while Iran will probably fire a few missiles in retaliation and Hezbollah will do what ever they do on a daily basis US assets and support throughout the Middle East will become very hard to manage because this will be a better recruiting poster for every nut job terrorist group than those famous words "Bring it on".
Bye bye oil... oh why couldnt we have tried harder at develloping an alternative source of energy?

The Arab Oil Embargo taught us to buy smaller cars. It taught us that it's dangerous to rely on foreign oil and to look for alternatives to Gasoline, such as Diesel. (i.e. all those little turbodiesel VWs and Saabs on the market in the late 70s-early 80s.) So when the embargo is lifted, what do we do: a) learn that we can't rely on oil forever and come up with alternatives, or b) go back to building huge cars (and eventually SUVs) that hog more gas and when the problem arises again put us in an even worse spot than before.

If you chose B, then congratulations, you're America!

We had 20 years to come up with an alternative engergy source, and we're still on square one. We can't bomb them flat, because then there will be $80 a gallon gas, and we can't let them destroy our ally, Israel. Instead of getting out of this racket and develloping our own energy (NOT drilling for oil here, which will be gone before today's Kindergardeners get out of High School), We're stuck trying to be friends with both the Hatfields and McCoys.

Bye bye oil... oh why couldnt we have tried harder at develloping an alternative source of energy?

The Arab Oil Embargo taught us to buy smaller cars. It taught us that it's dangerous to rely on foreign oil and to look for alternatives to Gasoline, such as Diesel. (i.e. all those little turbodiesel VWs and Saabs on the market in the late 70s-early 80s.) So when the embargo is lifted, what do we do: a) learn that we can't rely on oil forever and come up with alternatives, or b) go back to building huge cars (and eventually SUVs) that hog more gas and when the problem arises again put us in an even worse spot than before.

If you chose B, then congratulations, you're America!

C, You can now turn your food into fuel thus driving up the price of food and oil but at least you can drive around looking for something to eat.

:)

The simple fact is that the US is not to blame for failing to come up with a viable alternative to oil, the entire developed world merrily did nothing as well so its now a problem shared.

But back to this Israel/Iran thing, the problem for the US is that even if it doesn't offer direct support to Israel they still have to fly through multiple countries that are hostile to Israel and at least one that has substantial military ties to the USA (Iraq, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia) and all of these countries are not going to be pleased at having to turn a blind eye to this.

Last edited:
Why couldn't we have drilled here and drilled now as well much sooner and at least get started now. Alternative energy too of course, but also we should not be relying on terrorists to get our oil supply.

China as well as Russia would probably help Iran which they probably already are and have been, that's probably one of the reasons Iran is showing and has been showing major cahona's and hostility since 1979.

I do think Israel could handle Iran by itself if they were to unleash all of it's military might without worries of civilian casualties.

Let's also not forget Hugo Chavez. If something was to go down, we would have to keep an eye on his silly self as well. Although, I think he would be similar to Noriega from Panama in 89 (I think it was, maybe 90). He might try something shady even more so than he already has if Iran is attacked.

Last edited:
C, You can now turn your food into fuel thus driving up the price of food and oil but at least you can drive around looking for something to eat.

But back to this Israel/Iran thing, the problem for the US is that even if it doesn't offer direct support to Israel they still have to fly through multiple countries that are hostile to Israel and at least one that has substantial military ties to the USA (Iraq, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia) and all of these countries are not going to be pleased at having to turn a blind eye to this.
or D: potable gasoline... :cheers:

True. These neighbors will win no brownie points with Iran by turning a blind eye to someone flying through to attack...

of course if they don't turn a blind eye and attack then Israel will be more than happy to blast them out of the sky.

Why couldn't we have drilled here and drilled now as well much sooner and at least get started now. Alternative energy too of course, but also we should not be relying on terrorists to get our oil supply.

China as well as Russia would probably help Iran which they probably already are and have been, that's probably one of the reasons Iran is showing and has been showing major cahona's and hostility since 1979.

I do think Israel could handle Iran by itself if they were to unleash all of it's military might without worries of civilian casualties.

I agree that Iran will be backed by Russia and China but other than the obligatory hand out of weaponry they want tests and a few "advisers" I doubt it will amount to much.

As far as Israel handling Iran, neither can succeed as neither has the capacity to touch the other except by air and given the 1200 odd mile round trip for Israeli pilots all of which is over hostile territory or water I would strongly suggest that they only have limited offensive capacity outside missile strikes or unconventional means.

or D: potable gasoline... :cheers:

True. These neighbors will win no brownie points with Iran by turning a blind eye to someone flying through to attack...

of course if they don't turn a blind eye and attack then Israel will be more than happy to blast them out of the sky.

All true but if they are detected in Jordan, Syria, Egypt, Iraq, Saudi Arabia or any one of the countries they will have to pass over to get to Iran the mission is basically screwed, hell the flight back after the mission wouldn't be a fun one either.

The other thing that has been overlooked is the location and number of suspected nuclear sites in Iran, the last estimate I saw was 14 individual sites spread throughout the country, in order to neutralise them all (or at least a significant number) a sizable attack would have to be launched.

Last edited:
Additionally, any short round over hostile territory that is at the moment out of the fight and not the target, will take out civilians, so it could get messy quickly using missiles.

I wouldn't give to much about the role of the US in this matter- the Israelis have proven to history that they are damn good warriors even if the statistics were against them. They could start a war on IRan all alone if they don'T see another chance of preventing serious damage to their country- and if you consider some of the things that Iran said they wanted to do to the Israelis i know why they want to strike...

but will it cause other countries to take sides?

The Middle East now is a lot like the Balkans before WWI. It's the powder keg, and the US invasion of Iraq has lit the match.

Will a confrontation between Israel and Iran cause the whole thing to blow?

Back