June 6th, 1944

Acerbus

Today's the anniversary of D-Day, the amphibious assault on Normandy beach which kicked off the Allied invasion of Europe.

Hats off to those bold souls who participated in this great campaign.

Yes, we should all take time to concider the great scarfices men made for the world that day, and its unfortunate the date gets little attention. Even in the USA, its been neglected, and I was dissapointed that in my public school the teachers didnt try to at least try to mention it.

Hats off to those bold souls who participated in this great campaign.

My hat is certainly off..

It's the same here in Norway, I think I saw a small note in a newspaper about D-Day, but that's all I found...

Visit http://www.ddaymuseum.org for some interresting reading about D-Day.

Nat Geo Article was the best!

I have to admit, i hadnt realize just how many ships and tanks were sunk on D-Day until that pull out map came along in national geographic. and the pictures were smashing good! :p

Hey redleg, do you get extra money if we buy history channel products from this site? The product Im getting isn't featured in your section.

Hm..
I get some small percentage of each sale done on History channel if you go there from a link on the site.
It's nothing to get rich on, but at least it pays for the hosting fees, but not for the countless hours I have used working on the site (lots of clicks, but few sales... :? ).. :)
It's the same with most of the ads on the site, except google, they pay pr. click...

What product do you look for?

Yes, and Id think you'd really like the series "Mail Call" on it to, Redleg. R Lee Eremey (Retired US Marine) gets question from people around the country of military hardware, which he explains. They had a show dedicated to artillery in season 2, and the advantages/disadvantages of self-proppeled systems vs towed :D

Mail call.. thats an AwEsOmE show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hehe, my mom thinks i'm nuts for watching it, but its up there w/ JAG and my BOB DVD series forr things to watch while polishing boots :-D

yeah, i can't remember my school doin anything about D-Day, but i'm in World History... and we're stillo n Ancient China ... gah, i can't wait until I get into WWII and stuff....

Hmm, I am in Canada, and I usually recall D-Day being at least mentioned. It could have been that I am from a small town with a large number of veterans (basically everyone's grandfather's, great-uncles etc.) But D-Day in Canada is getting alot more attention nowadays as well because there is a large project about Juno Beach (that was our beach!) that is getting quite a bit of attention.

Back