June 6th, 1944 - Page 2

--

June 8th, 2008  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by errol
Great pictures!

I visited Omaha beach with my family about 7 years ago. It was in early November. Cold, wind blowing. It was quite an experience walking along that beach.

I was in the sector designated "Green Dog". What US units fought here? Rangers?
This might help...
June 9th, 2008  
errol

Thanks Monty,

This map makes thing easier.

We were standing right on the Dog Green/Dog White boundary.So it was the 29th Infantry Division in this sector. What does 116RCT stand for?

Was that the Rangers in Charlie sector? 2nd Rangers C Company?? Or am I way off?

We had a look around Vierville. Not many Americans about? It was only about 6-7 weeks after the 9/11 murders, so I guess not many were too keen to go holiday making in Europe. The locals said they noticed a big drop in numbers from the US at the time.
June 9th, 2008  
MontyB

116RCT stands for 116th Regimental Combat Team.

"D-Day", 06 June 1944, found the 116th Regimental Combat Team spearheading one of the greatest military operations in history - - the assault landing on the German held coast of Normandy. The 116th Infantry, assault regiment of the Division, suffered 341 casualties on Omaha Beach.
--
June 10th, 2008  
Fox

May God bless their souls who died on Normandy to struggle for the freedom against the Nazis.
June 10th, 2008  
justin1552

Too bad we can't add music to this thread. I'd add the playing of taps.
June 13th, 2008  
AikiRooster

My Uncle was a Sgt at Battle of the Bulge. Tough battle. Bronze star, Purple heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens
Very moving tribute. We can never thank our veterans enough.

My grandfather and one of his brothers had already been wounded and medically discharged by the time D-Day came. His other brother was KIA at the Battle of the Bulge.
June 14th, 2008  
Easy-8

I know a guy who fought at Normandy. He was with the 5th Ranger Battalion and fought on Omaha Beach. His company got mauled up pretty bad and he was assigned to the 4th infantry division sometime afterwards. After Normandy he was sent to Italy (I don't know ANY details from this part other than the fact he was a sniper).

He later served in Korea and rose to the rank of 1st Sergeant. Remarkable man.
October 29th, 2008  
jaz-do

Nice thread 5.56. My Grandfather was on the second wave into Normandy. He ended up getting 5 Bronze Stars in theatre. Normandy,N. France,Rhineland,Ardennes,Central Europe. As his discharge paper state. He was a full track driver for the 811th Tank Destroyer Batt. 11th Armored Div. He made it back with no injuries.

Coincidentally my Great Uncle trained at Fort Campbell KY,for Armored unit also,but a tank lid dropped on his hand.He was retrained as a Medic,and served in Rhineland with the 309th Med. Batt. 84th Inf. recieving a Bronze Star as his discharge papers state. He also made it back.

I had the honor of knowing them both well for many years. My Great Uncle passed away in 1986 while having surgery.

My Grandfather,Grandmother,and my faithful dog of 15 years "Hutch" passed away in a propane gas explosion in 1993.

"God Bless our Veterans"
December 9th, 2008  
papasha40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
116RCT stands for 116th Regimental Combat Team.

"D-Day", 06 June 1944, found the 116th Regimental Combat Team spearheading one of the greatest military operations in history - - the assault landing on the German held coast of Normandy. The 116th Infantry, assault regiment of the Division, suffered 341 casualties on Omaha Beach.
The entire Omaha beach debacle has been a study of militarists for well over 50 years now. The author of Band of Brothers states that the beach being mainly shale would not support the DD tanks or other funnies, Percy Hobart invented/created for hard beaches to conquer. Unfortunatly the beaches at Omaha were basically no different from the beaches at Sword, Gold and especially Juno which had exactly the same kind of beach as Omaha.
Whether opologists or military, so called experts say different, Bradley made a huge mistake by not incorporating the funnies on that beach. And it is very unfortunate because Bradley was an excellent Commander who was unfortunatly given the wrong info on how to tackle the beach. The Canadian's at Juno were up against at least the same amount of resistance and many historians believe it was actually worse. But they succeded with half the American casualties because they used every Percy Hobart invented funny they could get their hands on