Jump Boots

ROTCCDT

Hey I was wondering if anyone could lend some advice on jump boots. I was planning on investing in a pair in case I get an Airborne slot this summer. I figure even if I don’t get one this summer I’ll be going sometime in the next 3 years so it’s just more time to break them in. Pretty much everyone from our program that has gone to Benning has said if they could do it over again they would spend the money on a pair of good boots because it really makes a difference and I’m not wanting to find out the hard way. There was 2 pairs I was looking at in Ranger Joe’s and one (Corcoran I XC Jump Boots) had it in the title which lead me to believe they were more designed with the Airborne soldier in mind, but then I noticed that they have about as much tread on the bottom as the loafers I wear to church. Is it normal for jump boots to have little to no tread and if so why? If they were strictly garrison boots I can’t imagine why they would name them something which indicated they were to be used in the field, but if they are field boots I can’t imagine why they have hardly any tread. Any advice from any cadet, soldier, marine, airman or sailor who has gone to jump school would be greatly appreciated.

I had Corcoran Is and had them re-soled with Vibrams and stacked (thick rubber inner sole to add cusion). Made it a nice boot alright, but I guess the Corcoran IIs now have that built-in.

The jump boots I saw in the early 60 s had zippers along the inside of the uppers. Were these factory made or custom?

zippers are not authorized for wear in any boot in the US Army...you may see some people in BDU's with HITECHS or boots with zippers on the sides or down the laces. These folks are in the Air Force. Neither type is authorized to wear in any case, in any uniform, unless you are in some special SOCOM unit that goes beyond the uniform regulation for the good of the mission.

My advice is DON'T get jump boots!!! Stick with the good old fashioned leg boots the ones you are issued in basic training for jump school. You do not want to be running everyday in a stinking pair of hard soled stiff leathered boots. If you are going to jump school I highly advise sticking to the good ole leg boots.

Knowing the way TRADOC does things...I doubt you are authorized to wear anything but your issue quick lace boots during jump school...

After jump school, I went to the 82nd and never wore those boots again...either jungle boots, corchran II's, or goretex for the rest of my career...

During jump school you are allowed to wear any all black leather boots. You are not authorized to wear the jungle boots green or black. as I said before just stick with the traditional issue boots. Plus if you wear jump boots they will ride you very hard about it being as you are still a LEGS.

(Low Efficiency Ground Soldier)

I personally wear the Jungle boots any time I am not in a military school. They are much better especially in the outdoor terrain. You will want to wear the All Leather boots during your first few jumps until your ankles get used to the impact.

even if you do buy gucci boots, make sure that you bring your issued aswell, nothing worse than showing up on a course as the only "individual"

No doubt about that Pete. Issue boots will never get you in trouble (unless you don't care for them properly).

when i was at airborne may04 we where told nothing but the basic issued boots specifically no jump boots or jungles

Thanks

Thanks for all the feedback. After hearing all your suggestions I think I will just save about $100 or so and go with what I was issued. As I understand it cadets at airborne catch a hard enough time as it is, so I certainly don't want to do anything that would cause myself to standout more. Thanks again.

Back