Julie Jacobson Photo

rattler

Here in Spain a big discussion is onging about the Julie Jacobson photo of a severely wounded Marine in Afghanistand and the repercussions it has in the US.

(I have the article, the photo - and also a bit of discussion -in another forum: http://www.warandtactics.com/smf/afghanistan-476/death-of-a-marine/msg6510/#msg6510)

Personally I have no problems with the picture (or the vid), it is "Soldiers Life" after all, and the photographer is not the person who publishes it, I have now read quite a bit on it and can see that opinions vary widely.

I am wondering I did not find anything on the topic in our site here, what do you guys think about the issue?

Rattler

They're just doing what they do. If it bleeds it leads. It's their job , hard to fault them for doing their job.

That being said. I don't wanna hang out with em, shoot pool, drink beer and chase girls. Hell I don't even wanna engage em in conversation.

That's what they chose to make their living from, other peoples misery and discomfort. Sad story but true. I agree with O3USMC

read the article, tell me what is wrong with it.

We make our living formulating what others live so that you guys may share, understand and honor (them).

Rattler

Rattler. My mother was a journo albiet in the states and not in combat I understand the concept......but that doesn't make alright with dispersing the image of dying Marine so that people understand. Because they won't.

It's funny how they try to stand on some kind of "higher" moral ground as some kind of tellers of the truth when really they're war profiteers themselves.
Pretty ironic.

As long as they get their by line or their photo credit and get picked up on the wire services they don't care. Gtting the truth out........making a difference......WTF ever. The more controversy the better then it's more exposure.

Nothing quite like capitalizing on other people's miseries.
But the soldier following orders given to him down the chain of command (starting from the President) gets the blame.

Nothing quite like capitalizing on other people's miseries.
But the soldier following orders given to him down the chain of command (starting from the President) gets the blame.

I am not sure I want to get involved in this thread as I am generally against the idea of publishing these pictures but I think it worth pointing out that this is not new in fact one of the most commonly shown images of WW1 is of a very similar circumstance.

The_Battle_of_the_Somme_film_image2.jpg

Still image from The Battle of the Somme showing a wounded soldier being carried through a trench. The accompanying title frame read:
British Tommies rescuing a comrade under shell fire. (This man died 30 minutes after reaching the trenches.)
Photographer: Geoffrey Malins
Imperial War Museum catalogue number Q 79501

Yeah but sometimes this sort of thing adds a human face to the situation which never hurts.

Yeah I suppose so.
I think what we're kinda ticked off about was that the father of the Marine requested the picture not be published but was ignored.

Yeah well as I said I really don't want to get into this discussion as it is somewhat emotive but I think that despite the initial appearance some good may come from the photo's being made available.

I understand what you mean.
After all, without any of the pictures, there wouldn't be much for future generations to refer to in order to see the past. And propaganda photos aren't much value... except for being propaganda.

In a few years it will have historical value and put a human face (which will quickly be forgotten) on war, I understand that. But right now it's about some vulture photog publishing a shot that creates a splash and gets her in the Pulitzer que. Fark em all but nine! May they rot in whatever hell they believe in.

Back