Judo or Taekwondo?

as long as you realise you are going to be stabbed/cut no matter what you do, you can save a whole lot of blood and surgery:) And as guns go if someone is stupid enough to hold a gun close enough for one of those moves he is mine. Of course, it is better to just give him your money if that will make him go away. The best option is not conflict.

Same stuff I learned.
1) you'll most likely never walk out of a knife fight without getting stabbed or sliced, especially if you don't have a knife yourself.
2) I can't imagine what kind of idiot would ever willingly give up his advantage of range while holding a firearm.

Seriously, though I'm told it'll work and when I was doing Krav Maga I could pull it off lightning quick, I have a huge doubt that it'll actually work. Remember, your opponent is just as crazy as you are about staying alive.

your opponent if dealing with an urban-civilian setting might also be drunk or drugged, with all the pros and cons of that for you. On one hand they fight like morons and are easty to take of ballance, on the other hand they can take a massive beating.

The one not under the influence will most often be the hardest to fight. As with drunk folks, you have the advantage. Doesn't matter that they can take more of a beating if they can't even move properly. Truth is, rarely have I actually had to really fight a drunk dude. You can just choose to avoid them and it's over before it begins.

Probelm for me is that the closest Krav Maga schools and whatnot is in Sydney, and I live about 3 hours from there.. So unfortunately I cant do Krav Maga

Anyways, I think I will go with the advice of a fair few of you here and do boxing/kickboxing for about 1 year or two before doing Aikido/Judo.

But i dont know WHICH to do, Kickboxing or normal boxing with just the fists?

I cant kick for crap [I can knock a door down easily, Terminator style. Tested and proven in a abandoned warehouse back in the old country :drink:], but I am [Excuse me for my lack of modesty] pretty strong for my age.

Krav Maga sounds good though, shame that I cant do it :(

I'm with Bulldogg here as well. Learn boxing. A good punch is the fundamental base of a good fighter. Focus on that alone and only that and you'll have a mean ass punch (and the moves to go with it). Regretfully I've never been able to learn boxing properly, it's one thing I really really wished I had the chance to do.
Next, I'd say learn something that grapples. Judo over Aikido if you ask me. A lot of fights end up going to the ground and even in the MMA circuit, the grapplers are the ones who win the most tournaments.

I'm with Bulldogg here as well. Learn boxing. A good punch is the fundamental base of a good fighter. Focus on that alone and only that and you'll have a mean ass punch (and the moves to go with it). Regretfully I've never been able to learn boxing properly, it's one thing I really really wished I had the chance to do.
Next, I'd say learn something that grapples. Judo over Aikido if you ask me. A lot of fights end up going to the ground and even in the MMA circuit, the grapplers are the ones who win the most tournaments.

But why shouldnt I do kickboxing instead? From all the fights ive seen [Not including the ones on TV, but street/school fights etc] a good kick to the head is a immediate KO [Finish him!]

Because you are still YEARS away from being able to land a kick to the head.
To be able to kick a "head" target in practice is one thing. Being able to actually pull it off is actually much harder than it looks (unless your opponent is just really really bad).
Personally I don't even recommend trying to kick someone in the head unless you've stunned him with some punches to his head (and your kicks are very fast and very accurate) because if you ever happen to miss (and it does happen, believe me) you are off balance, your back is to your opponent and well... it's a bad place to be.
Like I said, being awesome at punching isn't the end of your training but it's a great place to begin. Focusing on that and only that will ensure that you'll have the most fundamental part of fighting down.
Don't fall for the fancy stuff.
It's the simple ones that actually carry the day.

In a real street fight there is little chance of kicking people in the head. The three kicks you want for street fighting are a low kick hitting the knee from the side, a knee to the groin or face(if you can get his head down), and a push kick(i am sure this isent the name in english) which is done to the lower body and meant to stop the opponent from attacking and gain distance at the same time.

Yes, push kick is the correct term for it.
Like I said, the only time if ever at all to try a head kick is if the guy is thoroughly disoriented.
My advice on kicking is the similar to Sherman's. Never kick above the waist.
Either way I think this is enough advice for him. I don't know him well enough to teach him about every trick in the book and already my answer to this thread is pretty clear:

Judo or Tae Kwon Do?

Judo.

No, don't move on to Aikido.

Anyways let me summerize what it is I said:

1) Boxing for at least 2 years.
2) Ideally Brazilian Jujitsu and Krav Maga.
3) If not possible, Judo and Muay Thai.

You might want to learn bits of other martial arts along the way but that's up to you.

No, don't move on to Aikido.

Anyways let me summerize what it is I said:

1) Boxing for at least 2 years.
2) Ideally Brazilian Jujitsu and Krav Maga.
3) If not possible, Judo and Muay Thai.

You might want to learn bits of other martial arts along the way but that's up to you.

Why not Aikido?

And I dont have Braz Jujitsu or Krav Maga anywhere near me.

Also, is boxing really like in those Rocky movies and in that fat pizza episode? Like, where you work out loads? Wondering if its possible to get a six pack from boxing.

Alrighty, boxing it is then.

Don´t forget the Judo at your age, it is the age when you body learns to do things (like falling) in a reflexiv and automatic way.

As I have already stated, at my current age, having learnt falling correctly (and using counter motion to dampen the impact) as a youngster saved my life twice already (w/o thinking, just by trained reflex).

Seriously.

Rattler

Yeah, as someone else said much earlier on [Perhaps it was you?] Im going to do Judo till i get a green belt [Approx. 2 years worth of judo] then move onto Aikido, which I will focus on.

If, by some miracle, a Systema school opens in my city, i will ditch Aikido and do systema.

Back