Judge bans Navy from using sonar off Southern California

--

August 29th, 2007  
phoenix80

Topic: Judge bans Navy from using sonar off Southern California

Judge bans Navy from using sonar off Southern California
Los Angeles Times, CA - 7 Aug 2007
By Kenneth R. Weiss, Times Staff Writer A federal judge in Los Angeles banned the US Navy from using high-powered sonar in nearly a dozen upcoming training ...
August 29th, 2007  
Team Infidel

green folks are the influence in this.......
August 29th, 2007  
phoenix80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Infidel
green folks are the influence in this.......
Yep, unfortunately!
--
August 29th, 2007  
Infern0

you cant tell me that blasting sonar into a whale sanctuary is the only way to train sonarmen
August 29th, 2007  
chronoserpent

I think this ruling makes sense. It only says the Navy can not use full power bursts when whales are in the area during training exercises, and does not restrict sonar use in battle whatsoever.

If the Army and Marines can't do live fire exercises where people might get hurt, the Navy shouldn't unduly use sonar when animals might get hurt.

Question for any sailors though, does using sonar at a lower intensity impact the usefulness of the training exercise?
August 29th, 2007  
5.56X45mm

Damn greens....

What's next, our troops and march because it crushes the earth worms living in the dirt?

Train as you fight and fight as you train.
August 30th, 2007  
A Can of Man

May have to reschedule the exercise and move it somewhere else.
Personally I think if it can be helped protecting endangered wildlife should at least be given a priority.
August 30th, 2007  
Infern0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.56X45mm

What's next, our troops and march because it crushes the earth worms living in the dirt?

not the best example, as earthworms aren't endangered

and surely you're not trying to suggest that a blue whale = earthworm
August 30th, 2007  
Fox

*sigh*....When will the greens and liberals leave the military exercise training alone?
August 30th, 2007  
A Can of Man

Well Fox, when they have a point, we have to listen.
Military exercises like those about to be held just off Southern California could be relocated elsewhere and still get the same sort of results.
Although I don't really like how environmental groups go about their agenda and I do feel that they're at times detached from reality, I don't disagree with their cause. Preserving the environment is quite important not only for eye candy but for the health of the world as a whole. Now, if we screw up the environment to irreversible levels, then the Earth will see a dip in life. But eventually the Earth will be fine. It's just that we are f**ked.
Doing a little favor for these groups can earn some level of trust between them and teh military. The military can send this sort of message: Give us the right reasons and solutions and we will work with you.
If we just blindly say "no," it's just being hard headed.