Jon Wood's Cup Plans on Hold

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Very few things have gone according to plan for Jon Wood this year. The Stuart VA native went into this season expecting to be competitive in the Busch Series, run seven Nextel Cup races and prepare to go full time into a Cup car for next year. The intended car was the #21 Wood Brothers Ford owned by his family and currently being driven by Ken Schrader. That's still the eventual plan, but the situation has changed. Wood hasn't seen the results he was hoping for in the Busch Series. It's unlikely now that Wood will make his Nextel Cup debut this season. Both he and his father, Eddie, say it's more likely that Wood will run a partial schedule. Jon Wood says he knows what he'd like to see happen. "For example, say Schrader and I split the 21 car," he said. "He did the races, say, I wasn't comfortable with, or did the races one particular sponsor wanted, then I did the others. That's kind of a way of not having to be thrown to the wolves and learn so fast. That would be my ideal scenario." Eddie Wood said nothing is set in stone but that he still has every intention of getting Jon into a Cup car for next year. Jon said he will drive a full Busch schedule next year.(Richmond Times-Dispatch)

Back