Joke gone too far?

Unfortunately the video is gone. I would have liked to seen it to determine if what happened was as bad/good as is depicted by the comments.

Ok overall I don't see anything wrong with this and people need to lighten up. See this is no different then anything that happens in a Fire Department or a Police Department or for that matter any close nit group of individuals. I bet some of you have done things like this with your own family. The soldiers are not hurting anyone, well tape removal may hurt a little, they are having fun the problem is that it got on "youtube" that is all.

I noticed the two soldier darting off in the background hand weapons maybe they took off because possibly they where officers, who knows. See had this not been on "youtube" no one would make a big deal about it, basically people need to relax. Honestly is it hurting anyone people should be encouraged to have FUN, especially in a high stress environment.

In closing what do you expect when you don't allow them to drink and hey only if college hazing was this "bad".

-edit

The people commenting on that youtube link show there intelligence very well.

If you didn't notice, they were tickling her, so that may have been the only reason she was laughing...maybe we would have seen different reactions if they hadn't tickled her, cause its kind of hard to stay serious, and yell at people when you are laughing uncontrollably

Sexual harassment charges waiting to happen... that's the only thought I have on this one. As for whether or not it went too far Philam, only the "victim" can answer that. I've done worse to people back in high school, hazing is such good fun.

Swirlies in a dirty bowl.

Duct tape someone so they are wrapped head to toe except for their face like a mummy and then hoist them up the flagpole bu their ankles.

Handcuff, blindfold and then drop them off 90 miles out in the plains of Eastern Colorado near Punkin Center.

Tie the full scent glands of a skunk to a firecracker, light it and then drop it into someone's locker.

The list goes on... but whether or not we went too far, that was determined between the ears of our target.

way to far is an understatement

I have to agree that the play would be one thing if it had been a Male Soldier being taped up. Either way it is not correct behavior. But being it is a female then yes, it brings a whole new light to the situation. Not to mention the title of the video was suggestive to say the least.

Yes, times are rough and people do wierd things to keep morale up. This is not one of those things. Especially not one of those things that should be posted on the internet for all and sundry to see.

If I was able to identify those soldiers they would definitely find themselves in trouble professionally.

Also notice the soldiers that did NOT want to be shown on the camera and made a quick effort to get off camera. That in itself made it abundantly clear that this was not correct behavior.

One other thing to note . . with her tied up what would have happened if it had "dropped in the pot" so to speak and they got mortared?

Yeah. . .no sh*t huh?

Donkey:

I hope your last comment was /sarcasm. I saw little to no intelligence in the comments those people made on the Youtube site.

Last edited:
People are entirely to uptight in this world and I don't care if you are a soldier or not having fun is necessary for mental health. Seriously though think about life wtf is the point of worrying about stupid **** guess what when we all die life will still go on...holy crap what a concept....

Yes that last comment was pointing out the shear stupidity of those people...

What happens in Iraq stays in Iraq... when it shows up on Youtube someone is going to pay... just ask my favourite Marine balladeer.

So am I like the only guy here that's ever been peed on?
Suffered a group beating? (which is why I'm missing a tooth)
Got eyes puffy from being gouged at?
Ears bitten at ? (oh go ahead laugh, but it does hurt like hell)
Nuts pulled? (that guy was definately gay)
I'm saying this while kindly reminding you that the stuff I went through was still somewhat relatively "mild."

No, you're not but the point is it was done to you by other males and there isnt a video of it floating about on the net.

Just like these two...

wham.jpg

Weird? Yes. Controversial? Not really. Improper or dangerous? I fail to see how. It looks to me like a group of people thrown into a very stressful situation who were just having fun. It's just like hazing that goes on in the police and fire departments and many sporting clubs. Replace the woman with a place kicker of equal weight and the tape with some toilet paper and you have a yearly occurance in the NFL. And the woman was laughing the whole time and the tickling happened only in the last 15 seconds of the video. I don't see this as anything more than harmless fun where nobody was hurt. It's not like they were choking her with pig intestines as happened at some high school somewhere. There wasn't even any inappropriate touching or groping going on, as one would expect to see given the build up that I read on here before watching the video, it's not like they gang raped her or anything. As for the "I can't breathe!" comment at the end, let me tell you a story. Earlier in the year I was already in bed (lofted, it's a dorm afterall) and my roommate walked over to the fridge, since he was up I asked him to grab me a bottle of water and he did. What he did next was quite unexpected. My roommate partially shouts, partially giggles out "Here's your damn water bottle!" and throws the bottle at me hitting me right in the stomach and winding me. I thought it was funny as hell and I kept laughing, since it was so unexpected the hit kind of knocked the wind out of me, the more I laughed the more it hurt which made me laugh even more. I too was shouting "Dammit, I can't breathe!" but like the lady in this video I was laughing at the time too.

My final conclusion: Innocent fun taken out of context, possibly on purpose, that one who reads the posted article without watching the video would assume to be inappropriate but is really just harmless fun and the only thing possible controversial about this is that the people on the video were in uniform. Heaven forbid we see a picture of our soldiers as people and not just faceless entities walking down a deserted street with an M-16 in hand.

Last edited:
Doesn't really look like a big deal. But it was REALLY stupid of them to put that stuff on the internet. At one point some civilian almost reported me to the authroities for being a possible spy because I was "acting suspiciously." I fail to see how but civilians can misunderstand us pretty badly.
Man... that would have been pretty awkward had I not sorted it out before an official report went in.

Weird? Yes. Controversial? Not really. Improper or dangerous? I fail to see how. It looks to me like a group of people thrown into a very stressful situation who were just having fun. It's just like hazing that goes on in the police and fire departments and many sporting clubs. Replace the woman with a place kicker of equal weight and the tape with some toilet paper and you have a yearly occurance in the NFL. And the woman was laughing the whole time and the tickling happened only in the last 15 seconds of the video. I don't see this as anything more than harmless fun where nobody was hurt. It's not like they were choking her with pig intestines as happened at some high school somewhere. There wasn't even any inappropriate touching or groping going on, as one would expect to see given the build up that I read on here before watching the video, it's not like they gang raped her or anything. As for the "I can't breathe!" comment at the end, let me tell you a story. Earlier in the year I was already in bed (lofted, it's a dorm afterall) and my roommate walked over to the fridge, since he was up I asked him to grab me a bottle of water and he did. What he did next was quite unexpected. My roommate partially shouts, partially giggles out "Here's your damn water bottle!" and throws the bottle at me hitting me right in the stomach and winding me. I thought it was funny as hell and I kept laughing, since it was so unexpected the hit kind of knocked the wind out of me, the more I laughed the more it hurt which made me laugh even more. I too was shouting "Dammit, I can't breathe!" but like the lady in this video I was laughing at the time too.

My final conclusion: Innocent fun taken out of context, possibly on purpose, that one who reads the posted article without watching the video would assume to be inappropriate but is really just harmless fun and the only thing possible controversial about this is that the people on the video were in uniform. Heaven forbid we see a picture of our soldiers as people and not just faceless entities walking down a deserted street with an M-16 in hand.

It is inappropriate due to the fact that they are Soliders in a hostile area of operations (Iraq). You did not see how it started or what started it. You did not see the complete end of the video. You also should have seen people wanting to stay off camera (this alone should tell you something).

The point being is that regardless of what you or any other civilian thinks it was improper and was not in keeping with the rules and regulations that govern the US military. I have seen some crazy crap in the 4 years I have been in. It seems the longer I am in the more and more the young folks slip away from "ideal military". Generally due to a careless and cavalier attitude in regards to rules and regs. Those same rules and regs that have made the USA the world's finest military and has kept America free from some tyrannical rule.

Am I extreme in my opinion? I don't think so.

Men and women have bled and died just because someone relaxed when they should have been watchful and alert. . . . according to rules and regs. . .

Long ramble..half won't make sense...but I had duty last night and have not slept in about 31 hours. . .

Well, it's not exactly as if they were on patrol and I highly doubt their mental health would be in anything remotely close to "normal" conditions if they weren't allowed some sort of outlet. Plus let's get one thing straight, the soldiers in this video were from a maintenance company, not MP's or Infantry who are trained to maintain constant vigilance, they're mechanics. Still going to stick by my original conclusion that it was simply innocent fun.

So I suppose the following image is also an ill-conceived plan and the troops in this photo should also be scolded.

halp_us_jon_carry_sm.jpg

Or this one.

HillaryFingers.jpg

Oh, and I did see the people wanting to stay off camera, couldn't help but notice that they were still watching the whole scene though.

So, this incident apparently makes national headlines and is somewhat widely condemned yet this video is widely accepted as harmless fun. I guess that goes along with my theory that whenever someone wants to make a music or video where they have some members of the military make an ass of themselves they send in the Army (See Platoon, Forrest Gump, M*A*S*H), if they need someone to glorify the armed forces they send in the Marines (See Shooter, Independence Day, Windtalkers).

Back