Joint Strike Fighter - More delays!

--

January 16th, 2012  
Trooper1854

Topic: Joint Strike Fighter - More delays!

Just heard on the BBC the the JSF can't land on aircraft carriers because they've put the arrestor hook in the wrong place!!!!!!
Who have they got working on this thing, the three stooges?
And we gave up the Harrier for this thing!
January 16th, 2012  
VDKMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper1854
Just heard on the BBC the the JSF can't land on aircraft carriers because they've put the arrestor hook in the wrong place!!!!!!
Who have they got working on this thing, the three stooges?
And we gave up the Harrier for this thing!
It doesn't look good for the F-35C. (F-35 Lightning II News) I think the RN will have to choose a replacement. The F-35B (VTOL, like the Harrier) or the A/F18-E or the French Rafale (unlikely).
January 16th, 2012  
Trooper1854

I can not understand how they can get rid of an aircraft before its replacement is ready.
We've done it with the Nimrod too!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti....html?ITO=1490
--
January 16th, 2012  
captiva303

That was due to economic thinking not militarily thinking...
January 16th, 2012  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper1854
I can not understand how they can get rid of an aircraft before its replacement is ready.
We've done it with the Nimrod too!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti....html?ITO=1490
The Nimrod was a bit of a pigs ear right from the start, she never did what she was supposed to do.

As for the new fighters for the Royal Navy, I wonder if the Euro fighter would stack up? From what I hear RAF crews quite like it.
January 16th, 2012  
Yossarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
The Nimrod was a bit of a pigs ear right from the start, she never did what she was supposed to do.

As for the new fighters for the Royal Navy, I wonder if the Euro fighter would stack up? From what I hear RAF crews quite like it.

Intense redesign of the airframe and the wing structure as well as major structual reinforcing of the landing gear would have to be done.

Essentially what you would get is a slightly heavier EuroFighter but I have no idea how well the aerodynamically unstable design ( kept stable while aloft almost entirelly by computers) would handle under slow speed landing and take off conditions out at sea.

But I guess is the French Rafale Can do it I suppose it can be done with the Eurofighter.

Of course after all the modification and the money spent...It would probally exceed the cost of the JSF program in the first place.
January 16th, 2012  
BritinAfrica

Good points. Perhaps they ought to bring back the Harriers.

This remind's me of when the MOD scrapped the Lee Enfield Number sniper rifle and sold them off for peanuts. They then realised they didn't have a rifle to replace it with, so they had to buy back as many as they could at inflated prices.
January 16th, 2012  
George

Generally speaking the Air Force can use a carrier plane, but not the other way around. An article said the F-35B can land vertically but is a short, but not verticle, take off.
January 17th, 2012  
Trooper1854

Bring back the Harrier!
With all the advances in technology and materials they could have developed an aircraft thats unbeatable.
The whole JSF project has been a waste of time and money.
January 17th, 2012  
BritinAfrica

There was a super sonic version of the Harrier on the drawing board that got scrapped. Perhaps they should build that.