joining usmc

--

March 8th, 2012  
preliator

Topic: joining usmc

Hi,

I always wanted to be a Marine but because I am a European (Czech citizen living in the UK). I've assumed that it is not possible.
Month ago I have found on the YouTube a video about Polish Marine (not US citizen) getting naturalized so I've start "digging" on Google how it does work.

To enlist I suppose to have a "Green Card".I'm 26 already (in September I'll be 27) and the age limit for USMC is 28. I cannot get the Green Card in the "time limit" it may take years.

I do not need a Visa to enter USA as a tourist. Iím sure that I can get a temporary work permit and a job in McDonaldís or so. However the Green Card processing time is up 2 years.

Also I have found that the rules are letís say ďelasticĒ and the recruiters can ďbendĒ it a little. Iíve found it on various Forumís, blogs and even here so itís truth.

Ö.so the question is: How to do it?

Some details about me:

Iíve done various Open University modules:
s151 - Maths for Science
s175 -Inside Nuclear Energy
pending:
s283 Planetary Science and Searching for Life
mst121 - Understanding Mathematics
...half trough Astrophysics degree
I do distance course on M.I.T. - Circuits and Electronics 6.002x

Also I have some Microsoft, Cisco and Novell certs.
Cambridge ESOL Level 2 and Iím working on the CAE cert in English
I can speak Czech, Slovakian, English and I work on Japanese and Arabic

I have no problem with ASVAB. Iím running every day, so the physical should be fine.

Thanks
March 8th, 2012  
A Can of Man

Green Card in two years is simply not going to work unless you got married. Then it will take about 8 months but that is from the date all the paperwork is submitted.
Read about the MAVNI program, but there is no guarantee that it will work of course. Also, so far, the USMC has not taken advantage of the MAVNI program. Your likeliest branch of service (if successful) would be the Army. Air Force and Navy do take advantage of the MAVNI program but their slots are so limited that you have to assume that you will not get it.

Some jobs sponsor for the Green Card within a short period (about 2 years) of time. Usually these jobs are in finance or very high end engineering jobs. Of course these jobs are very hard to get.

If you want to serve in the US military, your best bet will be the Army. For Marines, it is waiverable to 30 I believe, but you have to assume that you have already missed your chance.
March 30th, 2012  
YuriBierazo

Join the Royal Marines. There training is a lot more hardcore than the U.S. Marines.
--
April 3rd, 2012  
03USMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriBierazo
Join the Royal Marines. There training is a lot more hardcore than the U.S. Marines.
Problem being that one must be a citizen of the UK or The Commonwealth to be accepted into the RM.
April 6th, 2012  
YuriBierazo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
Problem being that one must be a citizen of the UK or The Commonwealth to be accepted into the RM.
Yea i know i just assumed he was a citizen since he said he lived in UK. I would have joined the RM if they accepted foreigners(sigh)