Joining the US navy

Jamesconn

I'm thinking about joining the navy. I'm trying to find a job I like that has a civilian job I could do when/if I get out. I reload and cast I love guns I have 3 so far I'm 17 and the only thing stopping me is money. I've talked to some navy people and the said I should be gunners mate. It sounds like a job I love, but what job could I get as a civilian? Could I get a job with done gun or ammo company?

I got a 88 on the asvab.

Fair weather and following seas .....

I'm thinking about joining the navy. I'm trying to find a job I like that has a civilian job I could do when/if I get out. I reload and cast I love guns I have 3 so far I'm 17 and the only thing stopping me is money. I've talked to some navy people and the said I should be gunners mate. It sounds like a job I love, but what job could I get as a civilian? Could I get a job with done gun or ammo company?

I got a 88 on the asvab.

I served 20+ years in the Army and the Navy .. and of the two, I had the most fun while serving in the Navy.

I retired as Fire Control Repairman (Missile) - Chief Petty Officer (FCC(SW), USN(Ret).

My job entailed radar, computer programming/repair, gun and missile maintenance and targeting. I fired the gun and also fired missiles (Surface to Surface and Surface to Air) during numerous missions.

If your main aim is having fun while serving in the Navy, then I would recommend you follow in my footsteps. If your main aim is getting a job that has a very good chance of you landing a civilian job, then I would recommend a job in Computer programming or computer repair. Those two fields are still going great guns. You could also get a job in radar repair with an eye towards the radars that are used for air traffic control or the air to air radar used on aircraft.

All of the above jobs are considered high paying, and give you a good chance of going straight from military service to a civilian sector job..

I wish you fair weather and following seas in your military endeavor. May your seas remain calm and may your time ashore be peaceful.

Last edited:
Back