Joining SWCC

noobkins

Hello,
I'm 19 years old and I have been giving this great thought in the past few years and even more so in the past few months. This Wednesday I'm gonna talk to my recruiter about joining navy SWCC.
Anyone have any comments or anything I should know or be aware of?

thanks, I know its physically demanding but i wrestled all my life, and was named all american athlete in my senior year; so hopefully the physical part won't be to much of a problem

thanks, I know its physically demanding but i wrestled all my life, and was named all american athlete in my senior year; so hopefully the physical part won't be to much of a problem

Not like you are going to RIP or BUD/s.
You should be fine.

It´s just a school..

Ok. I just took ASVAB today and scored a 82(AFQT score); and my recruiter said I should look into nuke. Is nuke life boring? I didn't join the navy to sit in a class room all day, I would have finished college for that.

I heard Nuke is pretty boring. Probably just taking care of the nuclear reactors inside the major vessels. Unless it's NBC, which is vastly different.

Nuclear Biological Chemical.
Usually refers to NBC detection and decontamination.
Those can be quite fun but the odds of actually being employed in that role seems to be pretty small.

From what I hear, nukes hate life...if you want SWCC, try for SWCC. If you're looking into nuke just because of the money, you're not joining for the right reasons.

what is SWCC?

Special Warfare Combatant-craft Crewmen.

They are the guys who operate the equipment, such as brown-water boats, that transport SEALS and such. Otherwise known as SBT's: Special Boat Teams.

SWCC are NOT SOF. They are SOF support. They do not attend BUDS and they are not authorized the Trident. The difference between them and any other Naval personnel is their security clearance and their deployment schedules (and their level and intensity of training).

The training is rough, as they go through a speacialized SERE (Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape) school.

For a little more on SWCC, go here:

http://www.seal.navy.mil/swcc/introduction.aspx

Thats sound pretty tight, my former JROTC instructor was a seal he knew some SWCC guys, told me they were and extremley capable support unit and very expeditionary on terms of coastal waterway operations and river ops.

But thats about all he said, he never spoke much about his Navy career or Navy buddies.

On the other hand, officers have to be SEALs in order to be attached to SWCC units - there are no SWCC officers.

well, i dont have anything finalized yet but my recruiter is strongly encouraging me to go seals but im not sure if I have the mental toughness. I did a practice PST for it and passed it easily.

Also, quick question, I have quite a few college credits and was wondering if that qualifies me for anything above E-3.
I was told that if I learn a book that they give me well it gets me to E-2, but what about college credits.

I don't know if just college credits alone qualifies, I don't know much about that, for me getting my E 3 I am counting on my JROTC experiance.

Back