Joining a PMC

We guys know it all.
Been there done that.
Seen them come and go.
You´re not the first superhero we have met.
What have you been through? Combat?

When did I ever say I know it all? None of you know anything about what I've been thru. I'm not some pampered naive kid who thinks there entitled to anything. In fact I probably have had a tougher life than most of you when you were 17. The reason I came here was to get advice on how to join one not about how I should get a real job and keep my head out of the clouds. You guys think you know it all, talking about how I wouldn't make it through basic training and crap like that, we newsflash, a lot of people do, millions in fact.

Riiiiggght. Why don't you cry some more. This is what happens when you act like a child among adults. We don't have to pander to your fantasies and if you think it is going to be any different when you get out of high school then think again. This is life. Nobody gives a crap about what you've been through and that's the truth. We are NOT your friends or your mother. We aren't here to pat you on the head and say "good boy, oh yes you can do whatever you want". You ARE living a delusion if you think this is a good idea. If you grew up in the US then you are pampered and naive and your response reeks of exceptionalism. Once you actually have to be in the third world for any length of time you'll see just how cheap life is and how good you've had it. Grow up....

Mostly...I would be lying if I said that there weren't quite a few who make it through IET with the sense of entitlement that characterizes this younger generation still intact. Quite a few know it alls too, just like this kid. Maybe I'm just getting older, but I don't remember privates, or civilians even, being as disrespectful as I have seen the last 5 years in the Army. It isn't a lot, but it is enough to realize there is a problem out there much bigger than BCT/OSUT can handle.

I got into it with a kid a few months ago because he wanted to know what combat was like. I told him he wouldn't understand and by the way he was talking it was clear he thought he was something special. He was supposed to join the Army as an infantryman and was trying to get a feel for how it all goes. I told him that he was no different than anyone else, he was the same...utterly the same. He didn't like it at all, then he went on a tirade calling me a coward and that I fear death and all kinds of nonsense. It was comical...but sad at the same time. When I came in the Army, or even before then, when a combat veteran talked, you shut the fvck up and listened...I guess we are a dime a dozen these days...

Well if a recruit gets in my face (this only works for us) we just yell louder, hold away chow, demand more PT, etc etc. But I do agree. I remember growing up listening to ' em talk.

We guys know it all.
Been there done that.
Seen them come and go.
You´re not the first superhero we have met.
What have you been through? Combat?

Apparently he lost some family so we have to put on kid gloves and tell him he's well adjusted and good to go because he is a self professed "well adjusted and respectful" individual that isn't "naive or pampered.".......

Just like all the others

Apparently he lost some family so we have to put on kid gloves and tell him he's well adjusted and good to go because he is a self professed "well adjusted and respectful" individual that isn't "naive or pampered.".......

Just like all the others
Losing a family member can be traumatic, but it just doesn´t count down range.

Nah let him come join the Army. He'll get a dose of reality when that Drill Sergeant gets in his face.

I suspect that would depend on which Army he joined because while American Drill Sergeants may like shouting and shit Kiwi ones are much quieter.

There are multiple ways of achieving a goal without showering someone in spit.

So you are going to come in here and dictate terms on what we can say to you because you think you are the exception to the rule just like every other 17 year old in the world. If you had this all lined up then why the hell did you come on here to ask anyways?

You think you don't care if you will die... I laugh at you. You don't have any clue what you are talking about in any of this, especially death. That crap might work on your buddies when you are standing around trying to be tough tough. Guys like me see right through the BS fascade and know you are actually just posturing little boys. The thing you don't realize is that in a combat environment, that BS will not only get you killed, but others killed too.

You're entitled to nothing! Pull your head outta your ass and realize that what you're talking about is a pipedream. If you don't have experience, noone will hire you period. Welcome to reality.

I am not sure you are reading the same thread I am because it seems to me you may have misread his first post and then gone off on a wild tangent since then.

I suspect that would depend on which Army he joined because while American Drill Sergeants may like shouting and shit Kiwi ones are much quieter.

There are multiple ways of achieving a goal without showering someone in spit.

Completely off topic but why are New Zealanders called "Kiwis"...?

Completely off topic but why are New Zealanders called "Kiwis"...?

Because the Kiwi is our national bird, the rumour is that it is a friendly, inoffensive bird that lives on the forest floor however we prefer the other comment that it eats, roots and leaves.

:)

Anyway a better explanation can be found on Wiki surprisingly...

Kiwi is the nickname used internationally for people from New Zealand,[1] as well as being a relatively common self-reference. The name derives from the kiwi, a flightless bird, which is native to, and the national symbol of, New Zealand. Unlike many demographic labels, its usage is not considered offensive; it is generally viewed as a symbol of pride and endearment for the people of New Zealand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiwi_(people)

Because the Kiwi is our national bird, the rumour is that it is a friendly, inoffensive bird that lives on the forest floor however we prefer the other comment that it eats, roots and leaves.

Anyway a better explanation can be found on Wiki surprisingly...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiwi_(people)

Monty we're cool but I have to say this. The US has the Eagle, and Drill Sergeants that yell and scream. NZ has the Kiwi, and Drill Instructors who ask nicely. Coincidence? I think not! ;)

Monty we're cool but I have to say this. The US has the Eagle, and Drill Sergeants that yell and scream. NZ has the Kiwi, and Drill Instructors who ask nicely. Coincidence? I think not! ;)

Hehe that may be true however New Zealand was home to Haast's Eagle the species was the largest eagle known to have existed, 22-33lb in weight it hunted Ostrich sized birds.

It's dead and fossilised yet the Kiwi still plods happily through the forests.

Its all about the long game.

Hehe that may be true however New Zealand was home to Haast's Eagle the species was the largest eagle known to have existed, 22-33lb in weight it hunted Ostrich sized birds.

It's dead and fossilised yet the Kiwi still plods happily through the forests.

Its all about the long game.

Hahaha I think we've successfully hijacked yet another thread.

World_War_II_Patriotic_Posters_USA_Military_Recruiting_US_Army_Caveman_Can_Do_It_2LG.jpg

Moxen don't you think this is a little uncalled for. I was in the Army some years ago and find this an insult.

First off
-I'm 17 but won't join till i graduate high school, so 19 when joining
-I know a reputable pmc won't hire anyone without military experience
-I know any non-reputable pmc is probably going to get me killed in some 3rd world country
-I don't want to join the US military or FFL simply because there is to much structure and to many rules. Same with a mainstream pmc.
-I understand I'm possibly throwing my life away, especially considering I get good grades and probably had a future.
-I understand the conditions in the places I'll most likely end up are terrible
-I'd rather die than go to jail in some 3rd world
-I don't have any mental problems and I'm physically fit
-I'd never be happy with a normal job
-My dad left me (when I was a baby. I never new him, so i really don't care), and my mom died in a car crash 2 years ago (living with an aunt and uncle, they treat me well and everything) so i don't have any family that would be sad if i die, or at least that would be genuinely sad.
-I'm doing this for the adventure it would offer, don't judge me
-I don't play call of duty or anything like that so don't say "you kids need to stop playing video games and grow up" like I've seen on other posts like this

So, any companies I should join? I live in the US, but I understand it will probably be in another country. If there's any advice or points you'd like to raise, go ahead I'd actually appreciate it. Thanks!

What do you mean by "too much structure" or "too many rules"?

I interpret this as you either don't want to have to follow orders or you want a license to kill...correct me if I am wrong.

If all else fails, you could simply volunteer to fight with the Peshmerga against ISIS. I'm sure they will still be fighting then and at least it will be for a good cause. No rules really, no structure, and you would be killing terrible human beings...just don't get captured. I'm sure it would give you all the adventure you're looking for.

Moxen don't you think this is a little uncalled for. I was in the Army some years ago and find this an insult.

It's a joke with your country mates , I know the sleep with boots in sands in rain and snow, waking up with explosion and the commander's anger.

What do you mean by "too much structure" or "too many rules"?

I interpret this as you either don't want to have to follow orders or you want a license to kill...correct me if I am wrong.

See I interpret "too much structure" or "too many rules" as being the exuberance of youth because at 15 and 16 I had just that opinion myself and in many ways I still have it only now I have learned to control it better.

Essentially he has the same attitude I had when I applied to the RFC and that lasted about 4 days after I arrived at RFC, reality set in and the best piece of advice my father gave me came to the fore, "Never be first or last and never volunteer, just shut up follow instructions and do everything asked as best you can", once I realised following that bit of advice was about the only way I was going to get through the course I changed.

Essentially as much as he may not like it he is a kid (and I do not mean that in a bad way as were all kids just the same) and has the same attitude and damn near every kid before and since.

Back