Joining the Navy

thomaswhite486

I always wanted to serve in the military my entire life. I just felt throughout my life there hasn't been a good time to join. So here I am a 34 year old man has lost his job due to a failed drug urinalyses, is contemplating on joining now. My whole life I've never done any drugs and have never been in trouble with the law. So before I took the random drug screen I acquired a leg injury a couple days before the test. I figured that accepting a non prescribed pain pill from a friend would be an easy fix to ease my discomfort. In a case of poor judgement on my part, consequently I failed and the testers saying I had cocaine in my system. Now I'm not a medication taker no Tylenol, Benadryl or anything. I was surprised to say the least, the only explanation I could think of was that the medication I took had something other than what was said in it. I hung my head in disbelief and they walked me out. I've been an exceptional employee for the company for five years. I believe I was very good at my job and my coworkers liked me as well. I'm not sure how this test will affect my eligibility to join the Navy. Any insight is appreciated.

I always wanted to serve in the military my entire life. I just felt throughout my life there hasn't been a good time to join. So here I am a 34 year old man has lost his job due to a failed drug urinalyses, is contemplating on joining now. My whole life I've never done any drugs and have never been in trouble with the law. So before I took the random drug screen I acquired a leg injury a couple days before the test. I figured that accepting a non prescribed pain pill from a friend would be an easy fix to ease my discomfort. In a case of poor judgement on my part, consequently I failed and the testers saying I had cocaine in my system. Now I'm not a medication taker no Tylenol, Benadryl or anything. I was surprised to say the least, the only explanation I could think of was that the medication I took had something other than what was said in it. I hung my head in disbelief and they walked me out. I've been an exceptional employee for the company for five years. I believe I was very good at my job and my coworkers liked me as well. I'm not sure how this test will affect my eligibility to join the Navy. Any insight is appreciated.

Sorry to hear that, but you screwed up when you didn't get a prescribed pain killer by your MD. Did you tell them what you did prior the screening?

True, hindsight is 20/20. I chose this route so I wouldn't have to miss time from work, also trying to avoid paying for a Dr. visit, with the reduced hours and income. I'm definitely paying the price for this mistake. Yes I did tell my employer the situation and showed them the injury to my leg but it did not help.

True, hindsight is 20/20. I chose this route so I wouldn't have to miss time from work, also trying to avoid paying for a Dr. visit, with the reduced hours and income. I'm definitely paying the price for this mistake. Yes I did tell my employer the situation and showed them the injury to my leg but it did not help.

Take the opportunity during this weekend to visit a recruitment office for the squids (sorry, hehe) and be clean about what you did and see what they say.

Back