Joining the military

Pak@

My plan is to try to join the Marines/Army after highschool, but my parents dont like the idea. They keep trying to discourage me any way they can. Recently my parents told me that the military will not accept anyone with ADD or ADHD.

Is this true, or are my parents making up crazy stories to keep me out of the military. Please answer me. I really want to join.

This is what about.com says: http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/asthma.htm

I don't know for sure, but my friend tried to join the US Navy, but got turned down due to his ADD. He later asked the US Army wether they would accept him and they said they said they would. They told him about the changes made on this matter.

As for your folks putting you down on that, take my advice:
My dad was fine with me joining the Canadian Army (Officer in the Armoured Corps most likely). My mother wasn't, she outright refused. For a while, I was really dissapointed. Then I discovered, this is my life, not my mothers. She can give me her advice, and I welcome it, but I'm the one who ultimately makes the desision. Keep that in mind, this is your life.

Hope this helps, and best of luck to you.:D

Last edited:
You've got to stick with it, when i first told my mom and dad i wanted to join the Marines, and go infantry, my mother flipped, but i stuck with it, she wouldn't sign my DEP papers, so i waited and signed myself, through out time she has come to understand that this is what i want, and now supports me 100% show them that this is what you want and you need their support, as for her cherishing the idea? most mothers dont exactly love to hear that their son wants to join the military, but through time and talks, she will understand and be very proud of you.

They may try to stop you, but you need to have a discussion with them and make sure that they know it's your call. No one can make it but you.

My plan is to try to join the Marines/Army after highschool, but my parents dont like the idea. They keep trying to discourage me any way they can. Recently my parents told me that the military will not accept anyone with ADD or ADHD.

Is this true, or are my parents making up crazy stories to keep me out of the military. Please answer me. I really want to join.

Heres the raw deal.

Good for you for wanting to serve your country. It takes some measure of courage to sign a contract that removes your freedom for the preservation of others, especially during a time of war.

Your parents are just that, your parents. They will do what they think is best for you, and parental instincts go against sending their children to war. My parents said the same thing. It does take time and effort to explain to them that you arent doing this spur of the moment, or on some whim after playing Battlefield 2.

Should they not be willing to understand, its still your choice. You need to realize that they are your parents, not the ones in charge of your life. YOU are the one that will sit back and look at your actions in the past when you are old and grey, not them. Before you can tell them that, you need to make sure you understand it yourself. Keep in mind that they are still your parents and have raised you since birth, instilled the sense of duty that drives you to join, and kept you fed, clothed, and alive to this point. Be respectful of them and their feelings, but dont allow them to live vicariously through you.

My parents asked me to promise to try college before going into the service, and honestly, I think it was one of the best choices I could have made. It gives you a taste of that life and a chance to enjoy being a civilian for a while. Enjoy your life before you grow up. Get out and enjoy what you like, learn something about the world around you, and get a handle on who you are before you sign up. It will pay off in the long run.

Hope that helps. Good luck to you.

If you have a chance at college, go for it. Join the ROTC or something, but don't give up a college education unless you absolutely have to. If it's a money problem and you're joining to pay for college, go for it.

You've got to stick with it, when i first told my mom and dad i wanted to join the Marines, and go infantry, my mother flipped, but i stuck with it, she wouldn't sign my DEP papers, so i waited and signed myself, through out time she has come to understand that this is what i want, and now supports me 100% show them that this is what you want and you need their support, as for her cherishing the idea? most mothers dont exactly love to hear that their son wants to join the military, but through time and talks, she will understand and be very proud of you.

My parents won't sign mine either, so right now I'm waiting and working on my PT.

Mine weren't very happy, but I made it clear that this was my choice and, though I didn't need their support, that I would be much happier if I had their blessing. They're ok with it now - Mom loves when I come home in uniform because she gets to show off to her friends :p

I've actually researched it. The army wont accept you unless you've been off medication for ADHD for at least a year. Is this right?

If you see what's on TV these days, it's no wonder everyone has ADHD.
Personally I think boot camp cures ADHD brilliantly.

If you see what's on TV these days, it's no wonder everyone has ADHD.
Personally I think boot camp cures ADHD brilliantly.
:drill: Either that, or transforms into paranoia. but yea, i think my my problem is going to be my sense of humor, i laugh SO much, so when im standing at attention and the DI says something funny to someone im going to have to bite my lip till it bleeds.

Yeah. But It's the same with me. I think i'll have a few stories if everything goes as planned. But chances are Murphy will think otherwise.

Back