Joining the military

No. You don't rate sir or salutes until your commissioned. Unless your in a very rare case aboard a naval vessel that you are actually commanding.

So saith Marine Regs by virtue of the Dept. of the Navy.

You are midshipman. You are addressed as Mister.

As I said. It depends on the circumstance. There are very restricted sets of circumstances where all midshipmen are "sirs", and I'm not talking about within their battalions. I'll find out more about them this summer. Also, all 1/C midshipmen rate officers' courtesies, though enlisted don't always follow this convention and only the toolishest of the tools will correct them.

I have never been addressed as "mister" by anyone.

As I said. It depends on the circumstance. There are very restricted sets of circumstances where all midshipmen are "sirs", and I'm not talking about within their battalions. I'll find out more about them this summer. Also, all 1/C midshipmen rate officers' courtesies, though enlisted don't always follow this convention and only the toolishest of the tools will correct them.

I have never been addressed as "mister" by anyone.

So in reality judging by the post above

You don't know.

Having a wee bit of experiance dealing with Middies. Having given the brief to Marines before we took on Middies for Fleet Summer........................

Midshipmen are referred to as Midshipman or Mister by enlisted personel.

Midshipmen do not rate Sir or salutes or other honors rendered to commissioned or warrant officers of the United States Armed Forces.
Because they are not officers nor are they warrant officers. They are training to be officers.

I have also given the brief to my soliders before we baby sat ROTC cadets. Same rules except they are refered to as Cadet. Mister being reserved for Warrant Officer though seldom used,

I have very rarely ever had a problem with a Midshipman from the Naval Acadamy or a Cadet from the Military Acadamy demanding or insinuating that because they may at some point be commissioned they rate the same treatment as an already serving and commissioned officer.

This problem seems to come mainly from ROTC middies and cadets who believe they can pull the wool over Ol Sarges eyes or worse over the eyes of my people and get something they don't rate to boost their little ego

Bottom line: Until you wear Ensign's shoulder boards you don't rate officer treatment. If you have a problem with that little Custom wrap your brain housing group around it and drive on.

Finally. You are on your last warning about posting half truths and bad intel in this section. If you care to disregard this warning shot across your bow. I will be more than happy to fully engage.

So in reality judging by the post above

You don't know.

No, the reality in this case is that you don't like the answer. I went in and checked today - midshipmen are called "sir", as you said, only in certain cases - such as, for example, when they are acting as conning officer (an instance which I believe you mentioned earlier). The only time I have heard "mister" used to address a midshipman was at the Naval Academy; otherwise it seems to be mainly a means of addressing JOs. This also could possibly be a quirk of my unit, I can find out.

The piece of information about 1/C courtesies comes straight from my AMOI; who told every single 1/C going for nuke and aviation interviews that they were due the courtesies of a junior officer when they were on base. Again, as I said earlier, there is not a single midshipman that I know who would correct enlisted on this, and I am certainly not one of them. I've actually seen this; on a trip to DC for the Sunset Parade with a couple of USNA midshipmen, a sentry at the Marine War Memorial saluted only the 1/C and left the 3/C I was with alone.

Show me a regulation (link if possible) that countermands anything I have just said, and I'll print it out and go directly to Gunny's office. I would, honestly, love to see that brief, because the material we've been given for active duty training this summer is very thin to the point of absurdity.

Is there any way you could split this side-chat into a separate thread? It's good information but distracting where it is now.

Last edited:
This officer type, (05 LtCol) and Moderator is giving you (Company Commander) your final warning to heed the previous warnings of the various Mods to stick to the subject and get back on topic. Furthermore, your comments are bordering on direspect to 03USMC who is a Moderator in case you haven't realised it.

YOU DON"T RATE A "Sir" unless you fall under the special circumstances quoted.

Yea but they still dont support it. I dont think they ever will. It's not their decision though. I'm joining either way.

That's the spirit Pak@. That's how I had to go to MEPS, both my parents strongly disagreed and wished I would have done something else, but it's your life. My mom was crying when I left, and when I got back my dad didn't talk to me for a week. It's been a few months now, and they've finally accepted it, although they still try and talk me out of it. Just take peace in knowing that they will be proud of you, especially since you're standing up for yourself and doing what you want.

Replying to the discussion about midshipmen above:

We're in a strange gray area. I've been looking everywhere in the Regulations for Officer Development and summer training handbooks but I can't find a definitive answer about where Midshipmen lie in the rank structure.

My XO (a Commander, USN) said that Midshipmen lie above enlisted but below warrant officers and officers. But don't let this get to your head and think that we get to be called Sir and get salutes and all that. It just means that, as 03USMC said, we are officers in training and are to be treated as such.

We don't get screamed at like how a SNCO would treat a private, but we do not receive the honors of real officers, because we are not commissioned. However, we are held to a higher standard of conduct and are not allowed to overly fraternize with the enlisted, like an officer.

What c/Commander said about being treated like an officer as a 1/C is sort of true... sort of. Specifically, on your 2/C cruise you experience the life of an enlisted, eating in the enlisted spaces, sleeping in an enlisted bunk, etc. But as a 1/C, you experience the life of an officer, eating in the wardroom, following a JO around, etc. But you are NOT an officer, you are NOT a 'sir', you just get to play pretend.

Besides, if someone wants to become an officer just so people salute them and call them sir, I suggest they find a different career. There's more to it than a power trip.

This just crossed my mind. How does college work. I know the military is in some way involved, but if you join the military, then how can you go to college at the same time.

Well I've got four more years before I can Join. I wonder if the war will be over by then.

Don´t worry about combat kid.
I´m afraid there´s going to be plenty left to do.
You´ll get your "chance".:sarc:

Back