Joining the military

Yeah. But It's the same with me. I think i'll have a few stories if everything goes as planned. But chances are Murphy will think otherwise.

Just remember - if you get through it, boot camp will be absolutely hysterical, though you may not think so at the time. The 3/C midshipmen in my class still get a kick out of some of our Indoc stories from the first few weeks at the beginning of the 4/C year.

I'm serious. If you haven't completed Recruit Training, or Basic Training. Don't start giving advice or lectures.

He's not in the service; enlisted can be "sir" to him too I suppose...

Well... as one who posts on a MILITARY forum, one would expect to see some reflection of military customs and courtesies. Besides, we are supposed to protect the integrity of the forums by not posting incorrect information and should I not have stepped in, I would have been passively contributing to the downfall of the legititmacy of these forums. :wink:

That said, do i call you sir now or only after graduation?

That said, do i call you sir now or only after graduation?

It's a bit odd - there's some circumstances where you would, and some where you wouldn't. It's permanent after the beginning of 1/C (senior) year.

But you don't need to bother with it here :)

No. You don't rate sir or salutes until your commissioned. Unless your in a very rare case aboard a naval vessel that you are actually commanding.

So saith Marine Regs by virtue of the Dept. of the Navy.

You are midshipman. You are addressed as Mister.

Last edited:
Back