JOINING THE MILITARY AT AGE 34

BKL

HI IM LOOKING FOR SOME ADVICE ON JOINING THE ARMY AT AGE 34. I HAVE NO PRIOR SERVICE AND NO COLLEGE EDUCATION. I ALSO AM MARRIED WITH ONE CHILD AGE 12. COULD SOMEONE GIVE ME THE PROS AND CONS OF THIS DECISION IF I DECIDE TO DO IT.

Well, what do you want to join as, how fit are you, and have you sustained any serious injuries previously?
How will you arrange with your family? Will they live on base or does your wife have a job somewhere else? Also remember that not all duty stations allow for family members to live on base.
Also the odds are pretty good that you will spend a lot of time away from your family and you'll get verbally abused by people 10 years younger than you.

You asked .............

You asked for some pros and cons. Most of my comments will be negative.

You will be away from home (at the beginning of your career), for an extended period during boot camp and advanced training. Depending on your next assignment, you may or may not be able to have your family with you (depends on the type duty and where it is at). If your family can NOT be with you, your wife will be saddled with every decision (by herself), that the two of you share or that you would make on your own. Now this may not sound that bad ... but ... imagine you have just spent a year or a year and a half away from your family ... and ... you return - your wife has already adjusted to you being gone - has dealt with all of the niggly decisions that are necessary for a household ..... and suddenly, you return and try to pick up where you left off by stepping in and making decisions without checking with your wife. Can you picture the results of this situation.

E-4s having a family of four [husband, wife and two kids] ... in every state where they have food stamps, qualifies for food stamps. That should serve as an eye opener for any family man. Pay for those under E-5, are in the lower strata as far as purchasing power and where you fit into society ..... you would be considered to be in the poor class.

Believe me, these two situations alone, have accounted for many divorces of military couples. Military life for a family is not all peaches and cream.

Before you think that it is all negative ... let me tell you it is not all negatives. You will end up belonging to one of the most close knit groups on the face of the planet. You cover your buddy's back and he covers yours. You help take care and watch over your friend's family and all of your buddy's watch over your family. There ARE "family" groups at every installation to help families deal with a whole host of issues. You have access to some of the best medical and dental care for yourself and your family (almost all of it free). You also have access to the various Post Exchanges where you can buy almost every item at half what you pay for it in the civilian community. If you live in military housing, you find that it is some of the safest places for your families. If military housing isn't for you, in most cases, you can draw a housing allowance and live in the community (sometimes buying a home instead of renting).

The above comments only scrape the surface. Bottom line - you have to ask yourself why you would want to be in the military ... and then, would it be worth it for you and your family.

Just remember, entering the military already having a family, more often than not, results in divorce.

It takes a strong family to take up a military life from scratch.

It is NOT just you that will be joining the military. It will also be your family and let's face it, the military life is NOT for everyone.

Back