Joining the Marines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe252

I been wanting to join the Marines for a long while now and i know im young i just reather have a plan and stuff. I have good grades and all that heres my plan and i want to know if i need to change it so here. DEP 2 years start as a Jounier (oh and do you reaseve pay as a privete?)
Marine corps Infrantry ( do all of my basic training courses)
Force Recon
Then Drill Instructor.... What classes should i take in high school or does it not matter? If i enter Marine Coprs JROTC what rank would i be?(if i came straight out of JROTC) Does it matter if i go to a threapist and yes the mental kind? Do the Marine Corps take alook in what clubs you where in? (like me i am in several shooting clubs and am the Assistant Jr. Cheif range officer) What test do i need to take to get into the Marine Corps?
In the Force Recon what is the physical requierments and phases we go through. And what do they look for in a Human being?

I know that if you spend at least 3 years in an MCJROTC you will be promoted to a PFC when you go into the Marines

All your answers are already on the forum, do a search, initiative would be a good start just to get into the Marines......

That is true you can only be in the DEP for no more than 365 days, you choose your ship date, they dont. I dont know where you got that from CO. I chose my own ship date.
For the test, as with all services you take the ASVAB. That tells them, 1. If you qualify, 2. What kinds of MOS's you qualify for.
I dont believe the MC looks at what kind of clubs you are in, they do however look at what kind of sports you play, if any.
LOL, I like your question on what they look for in a human being. I believe they look for honesty, courage, and somebody who will commit.
I think you have a good plan, but you might be getting ahead of yourself a little.
Hope this helps.

GIJane05 said:
I dont believe the MC looks at what kind of clubs you are in, they do however look at what kind of sports you play, if any.

The Marine Corps really does not care what kind of clubs your in. What sports you played.

They look at your desire to be a Marine.

03USMC said:
GIJane05 said:

The Marine Corps really does not care what kind of clubs your in. What sports you played.

They look at your desire to be a Marine.

Very true. It is physical shape and desire. Sports do not factor into it.

I might be wrong, but that's just what the recruiters have told me. They said that they like someone who plays sports in a team, or is like team leader, captain of the team, etc. I guess it shows they can work in a team, or they can be leaders. Just my $ .02

Well once you're in the marines and you're looking to join one of their sports teams, thats when it might factor in... as far as teamwork and all those, they'll teach you that and many other sociological skills in boot camp and the other training that every marine goes through.

For instance, a good friend of mine is a 4th degree black belt in American and Korean Tae Kwon Do, when he went to boot camp, he didn't get any special treatment at all... the only time it came into play was when he went Force Recon... it was a lot easier on him, but as far as them lookin at that stuff for possible advancement options... you'd probably have to mention it because I doubt that they look at that stuff unless you're a waiver (like me)... Funny thing, he pushed his DI and the DI beat the snot out of him like he wasn't even there... hahaha he thought he was billy bad-@$$ and didn't like the DI in his face so he pushed him and that guy beat him till the two other DI's pulled him off... irrelevant to the situation at hand but still pretty damn funny... lol :lol:

correction: the recruiter found out about his black belt and told him he should go force recon, but as far as it making it easier for his acceptance, it really didn't play a huge part...

I have a hard time believing Sea stories from people who haven't as of yet eaten their first meal in an MCRD chow Hall> Go to Boot earn your title then maybe you can regale us with your " SEA STORIES. :roll:

And further I do not believe that your "friend" A. Got into a fight with his DI and remained in the Corps. Let alone was accepted into a Force Recon Company. The Brig YES.

DavidP said:
Well once you're in the marines and you're looking to join one of their sports teams, thats when it might factor in... as far as teamwork and all those, they'll teach you that and many other sociological skills in boot camp and the other training that every marine goes through.

For instance, a good friend of mine is a 4th degree black belt in American and Korean Tae Kwon Do, when he went to boot camp, he didn't get any special treatment at all... the only time it came into play was when he went Force Recon... it was a lot easier on him, but as far as them lookin at that stuff for possible advancement options... you'd probably have to mention it because I doubt that they look at that stuff unless you're a waiver (like me)... Funny thing, he pushed his DI and the DI beat the snot out of him like he wasn't even there... hahaha he thought he was billy bad-@$$ and didn't like the DI in his face so he pushed him and that guy beat him till the two other DI's pulled him off... irrelevant to the situation at hand but still pretty damn funny... lol :lol:

correction: the recruiter found out about his black belt and told him he should go force recon, but as far as it making it easier for his acceptance, it really didn't play a huge part...

There is nothing true about any of the statements you are saying. First off, you don't "go" FR, they select you for indoc and if you pass indoc you can start the training rotation if they need you. A black belt will do nothing for you iin the training, I have practiced TKD for years and it didn't help me at all, CQB and Hand to hand in full combat gear precludes most of the martial arts trained in the civilian world hence the reason that the Corps has taken the best out of each and made its own martial art that fits the situation. As for striking a DI, he would be gone period, no second chances.

DavidP has been banned from the forums for three days. Read the announcement at the top of the first page of this forum.

Where do people come up with this crap? :shock: I have done a lot of things and some may sound outrageous but come on. There are just certain things that you know " Aint No Way."

Good luck mate!
Look, I aint exactly qualified but from what i hear, they look for experience.
If you've spent time in the cadets then you have a feel for what life is like in service , just a taster though.
You have more experience than the average joe who sees a marine as the guys from full metal jacket.
If you like sports then that will get you noticed, if you have awards like umm a team work thing that'll probalbly get you noticed more.
Remember they're looking for the right guy not the fittest guy or the smartest.
Go forth and kick ass!

devilwasp said:
Good luck mate!
Look, I aint exactly qualified but from what i hear, they look for experience.
If you've spent time in the cadets then you have a feel for what life is like in service , just a taster though.
You have more experience than the average joe who sees a marine as the guys from full metal jacket.
If you like sports then that will get you noticed, if you have awards like umm a team work thing that'll probalbly get you noticed more.
Remember they're looking for the right guy not the fittest guy or the smartest.
Go forth and kick ass!

I would think that having 12 years TIS. I have more expierance than the "average Joe/Cadet" as far as the United States Marine Corps goes.

So let me once again reinterate . The Corps does not care if you play sports. The Corps does not care if you are President of the school Tidley Winks Team. The Corps does not care if you were Captain of the School Ping Pong team.

The Corps cares if you can pass the IST. Pass the background and.........

HAVE THE DESIRE TO BECOME A MARINE

Really?
Dont they care what you've done in the past , you know about team leader and stuff?
Or are we on diffrent pages here?

The Corps can instill leadership and team work in the right individuals. Those it can't won't make it anyway.

03USMC said:
The Corps can instill leadership and team work in the right individuals. Those it can't won't make it anyway.
Sounds like your wasteing a resource to me but hey, thats the way you guys do it fair enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back