Joining the Marines?

Kamil10

Im gonna graduate school when Im 16 and 10 months. I wanna join Marines at age of 17. Will it be hard for me? Also I have questions about military and such.
1) What do you do in military after you training?
2) Do you get alot of free time?
3) Is it hard to find a wife/girlfriend when you are on base?
4) How is the money? Will I have enough to buy a car?
5) How is the housing? Do you give you free room to live in?
6) Do you shoot weapons everyday?
7) Is it hard to get into Marines? I mean do they need any people to join?
8) Is it fun?
9) Did military ever get onto your nerves?

Thank you very much and feel free to put additional things about military.

go tomilitary.com and register for an account, when you are filling out the registration it will ask you if you want info about a specific branch of the military emailed to you, check the box, and in a little while they will email you everything you need to know.

Nothing, just usually people who graduate early are really smart, and do so to get a jump on collage, not enter the service. Im not condemning it, Im just saying it's unusual.

Jason Bourne has pointed you in a good direction. Military.com will answer many of your basic questions. You may also contact a recruiter, he will be able to answer these quetions while enticing you to look at other options witin the Marine Corps as well.

Do a bit of research, talk to a recruiter and if you have (which you should) less general questions, come back and ask.

Also, in case you are not aware, you will need parental consent to join at 17.

I was in the Army, it's almost the same so I can help you out a little.

Do you mean Boot Camp? They send you to your duty station.

The shedule starts around 6am with PT, and the work and maintenance starts around 9am you usually get off at 5pm the rest of the time is yours, you also get the weekends off.
This all changes if you go on field excersice then there's no set schedule and you proly won't get time off. Most of the units operate on this type of schedule.

Depends on the base. But you got enough time off base that you get to meet alot of the local chicks.

You should, although not a real expensive one. I think as the lowest ranking private you clear around $900 a month, but that includes free food and housing.

You usually get a free room unless you live off base, but I think depends on your circumstance you get a housing allowance.

Depends on your unit. But most of the time no you don't

Ask your recruiter, I hear the best itme to join is in October which is th end of the fiscal year, there is more job openings then.

Is it fun?
Sometimes it is, sometimes its a *****. Depends on what type of person you are and your duty station. Alot of times I thought it really sucked, but I was young then, but I also had some of the best times I ever had in my life when I was in the military.

Yes.

...the main purpose of the military which is combat readiness, is not a lesiure ativity.

Thanks you Gladius and my question is what do you do on duty station? Do you have like exercises? I know I can go to websites to find that kinda info but I prefer answers from people like you because I like to hear other point of views so thanks.

Do you mean PT training like running and push ups? You do this first thing in the morning. After this you take a shower and eat breakfast, then you either go do maintenance or on-base training.

Field exercise are diferent since youre out in the desert or the woods and stuff

Any training that can be done on base such as, taking classes to identify enemy vehicles, assembling/disambling gear and weapons, first aid, ect. Or any training that is a short distance from your base and where you don't have to sleep outdoors to do it.

It all depends on your unit. Most of the units attached to a vehicle spend the day doing maintenance, most of the ones I knew at least.

Also before I forget to mention there is also alot of cleaning involved, cleaning the baracks, the equipment, ect.

Kamil10 said:
Im gonna graduate school when Im 16 and 10 months. I wanna join Marines at age of 17. Will it be hard for me? Also I have questions about military and such.
8) Is it fun?

Thank you very much and feel free to put additional things about military.

I'll give you some of my thoughts on this

1. After your Basic Training you will head over to SOI(either Camp Gieger or Camp Pendleton) for either ITB(infantry) or MCT(any non-combat mos). From there if you attended MCT you will head to your MOS school(for me(3432), it was Camp Johnson) or if you were in ITB, you wil goto your unit

2. Depending on your MOS. I work usually from 0615-1630 so afterwards I do free time. Other MOSs aren't as lucky and work longer and harder

3. Don't know cause I'm happy with my girl that I've had so I'm not sure, but my friends have had luck

4. Depending on how much you spend. I bought a car when I picked up Lcpl so the money isn't bad, you just have to know how to save it.

5. Yes, you live in the Barracks and they pay for your lighting, water and well, that's it. I mean, you get a wallllocker, secratery, and nice small fridge. I mean, it's not bad, but the barracks are different pending where you go.

6. Hell and no. But than again, I'm a POG(People other than Grunts) so of course I don't

7. Dude, just go ask a recruiter, trust me, they'll be happy

8. I have fun most of the time. Got to meet some kewl people, so some kewl things. Like i said, it all depends on what's going on

9. Like number 8, the same thing applies here

Kamil10 said:
8) Is it fun?

9. I can't answer that for another year or so.

Mod Edit: That is the only correct answer you gave. ;)

There is nothin in The Corps that comes easy. With a little sacrifice and personal drive, the infantry will be easy. It all takes a certain kinda person to love what they do, that is what will make it easy.

Sooners1 said:
There is nothin in The Corps that comes easy. With a little sacrifice and personal drive, the infantry will be easy. It all takes a certain kinda person to love what they do, that is what will make it easy.

Sooners1 is right, it is all what you make of it, the better physical shape you enter boot camp, the better you will be able to take the mental items. It will be a large amount of work and lots of drive, I didn't think of it as a sacrifice, since I enjoyed it.

Back