Joining the Marines?

be1993

I'm currently a freshmen in college and I'm thinking about becoming an officer in the Marines after graduating. But, I'm debating it because I'm concerned about wasting my parents money on my college education if I don't make it back, how it will affect my relationships, and about how it will change me killing someone, especially as a Christian. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Talk to your family, your friends and love ones about how they fell about your decision. 100 % support is vital.

It is hard to predict how you will be affected by the kill, but affected you will be - war is something you never return from. Killing in war is a necessary evil and except for the intense love forged among them who fight side by side, there is no genuine good created by acts of war. You must be completely resolved with the fact that you press the trigger when you need to. If you hesitate, you can cause the death of your men.

The Bible teaches that we have the right to self defense, (Exodus 22:2): "If the thief is caught while breaking in, and is struck so that he dies, there will be no blood guiltiness on his account." The Bible also tells us to protect the innocent, (Deut. 19:10), "So innocent blood will not be shed in the midst of your land which the Lord your God gives you as an inheritance, and blood guiltiness be on you." Also, see "Fathers shall not be put to death for their sons, nor shall sons be put to death for their fathers; everyone shall be put to death for his own sin," (Deut. 24:16). If we were to apply these principles to war, I would conclude that war is justifiable when it is in self defense and/or when it is to protect the innocent. Therefore, a Christian could rightfully engage in war given those conditions.

The decision to become a Marine officer is one you must take jointly with your parents and those you love. We can´t help you with that decision but we can help you on all other issues - Just ask.

Also remember that it is the start of a whole new life for good and evil.

Well, the next of kin of enlisted personnel get $400,000 if they die in combat. I don't know what the rate for officers are. But that should more than make up for your college tuition if that's what you're worried about.

What do you want?

Not all MOS's are direct action.

Make up your mind based on how you feel.

I've been thinking about being an infantry office or an engineer, but most likely an infantry officer.

Understand this any MOS can find themselves in a combat situation. If this conflicts with your faith then you need to A. Talk to clergy about and go from there B. Chose a different career.

Ok, how about giving orders that result in kills?
Or do you figure your responsibility stops with the actual pulling of the trigger?

Fact is, you can´t lead men untill you could be one of them, and be the best amongst them.
Yes you can hold a higher rank, but you can not lead..

Clear enough?

KJ sends..

As a former Marine officer and Vietnam vet,I can tell you that it was the most rewarding period in my life. The Marines that you command will be the best people you have ever met. There were Christian Marines when I was in and I'm sure there still are.
You don't kill for killing's sake. You kill to protect yourself and your fellow Marines.
No matter what MOS you have,as an enlisted you are a rifleman first.
As an officer you are an infantry commander first.
I was an 'AirWinger',A-6 driver. I ended up,by fate ,commanding a rifle company in combat for 47 days. It was the scariest,best time of my life. MY Grunt Marines were the best in the world!
It is a major decision for you. If you pick the Corps,IMO it will be the most rewarding and satisfying in your life.
Always Remember-Your Marines come first before anything else,You included.

As a former Marine officer and Vietnam vet,I can tell you that it was the most rewarding period in my life. The Marines that you command will be the best people you have ever met. There were Christian Marines when I was in and I'm sure there still are.
You don't kill for killing's sake. You kill to protect yourself and your fellow Marines.
No matter what MOS you have,as an enlisted you are a rifleman first.
As an officer you are an infantry commander first.
I was an 'AirWinger',A-6 driver. I ended up,by fate ,commanding a rifle company in combat for 47 days. It was the scariest,best time of my life. MY Grunt Marines were the best in the world!
It is a major decision for you. If you pick the Corps,IMO it will be the most rewarding and satisfying in your life.
Always Remember-Your Marines come first before anything else,You included.
Were you a FAC with 2/27 by any chance 1968?

Ahhh. There was a FAC that had a company for a minute in 2/27 before my cousin was evaced off KSCB.

So the corps is good for christian Marines, but as an atheist, will I have any problems in the corps or the rest of the US military?

Thanks

Nope, I just wouldn't make it a habit of telling your peers that their God is a lie. I told a chaplain (O-4) that I didn't believe in god, it was pretty akward but he was preaching hardcore too me and I didn't feel like hearing it.

Last edited:
Nope, I just wouldn't make it a habit of telling your peers that their God is a lie. I told a chaplain (O-4) that I didn't believe in god, it was pretty akward but he was preaching hardcore too me and I didn't feel like hearing it.

I don't think anyone's god is a lie, but I personally don't like the idea of one. I don't think I'll have any problems :thumb:

I'm currently a freshmen in college and I'm thinking about becoming an officer in the Marines after graduating. But, I'm debating it because I'm concerned about wasting my parents money on my college education if I don't make it back, how it will affect my relationships, and about how it will change me killing someone, especially as a Christian. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Christian's have been killing each other and anyone else they please for as long as there have been Christian's - so that shouldn't be a problem.

Everyone's been killing each other for as long as they have existed.
I try to compartmentalize religion from the rest of our BS.

Back