Joining the Marines.

MaRicciardi

I was in the process of joining the marines, but i was disqualified due to previous eye surgery i had as a kid. I am determined to do anything i can to get in, and i am wondering does anyone know what i can do or the best way for me to get a waivor around it ??

Just to be sure, you did ask a recruiter about this right? If not you should definitely do that, if the recruiter that was working with you won't help you, you should call another recruiter. Is there still anything wrong with your eye? Because I'm pretty sure if its not correctable to a certain number they wont take you regardless.

I did ask my recruiter but he is new at recruiting and doesnt know what else he can do. The other recruiter i talked to doesnt seem interested in helping. Nothing is wrong with my eye and my vision in my Eye is 20-25, which im pretty sure is fine. I just dont know what else i can do to get in, but i wont give up

Keep on going, don't give up. My daughter talked to some on-line recruiters before she joined the military. Have you tried that? I am guessing the Marines have it, I know the Air Force does.

Ya. My papers went to MEP's and came back DQ'd. But i have spoke with marines that i know and they say there should be waivers around it.

You will need to put in the waivers and appeal the DQ. Wouldn't hurt to go to a civilian doctor and have him examine you and write up a statement that there is no damage to the eye and that your vision is correctable.

That can be presented with the appeal and waiver request. You may have to be examined again by military doctors but it's worth a shot.

Did you actually see a MEPS Doc or was it a paper DQ with no exam?

I didnt get to be examined by a MEP's doc, the papers came back DQ'd with no exam.
I contacted my congressman a while ago and filled out some papers, and i just recieved a letter today that said he was going to contact the department of the navy and express his intrest on my behalf.
Do you think that will make a difference or do anything ?

Your recruiter and probably the SNCOIC of the RSS will have to start the paperwork. I believe it then gets forwarded to the RS, but don't qoute me, it may go back over to MEPS. But it will go thru approval stages.

I recieved a letter from my congressman, and he said he was going to contact the Department of the Navy and express his intrest on my behalf.
Do you think this will do anything or make a difference ?

Did you ask your recruiter about a waiver? i dont see whats the problem with eye surgery, i know a few Marines that had it done while they were in...The congressman letter should stir up some attention, but those MEPS medical examiners really dont care..Keep it up man listen to 03, do your research online also about the subject.

I haven't logged in a year so don't expect another reply from me, but while i was in bootcamp 3 years ago we had a recruit that was "legally blind" without his glasses. The drill instructors would make fun of him because his glasses made his eyes the size of his glasses(all you could see was his eyes in the glasses, nothing around them). If he can get in, so can you. Period. If you push it enough, you can do it.

Back