Joining a foreign army

Yasmin

Does anybody knows is it possible to join any army in Latin America or Africa like foreigner (with or without residence card)?

Most Latin American Countries restrict membership in their Militaries to citizens.

FWIW. I really don't think you'd want to get into alot of the Latin American Armies. Low pay, bad food, bad housing. etc etc etc.

I was rejected from French foreign legion and now I would like to join some army with enough action and possibilities to advance. My own army is in my opinion worse than those in Latin America.

Most Latin American Armies do not offer much advancement and as a Gringo you would be at the bottom of the line if you did get in.

I suppose you should ask yourself a few questions. Firstly what is your motivation for wanting to join a foreign country's army. Secondly, why did you get rejected from the foreign legion.... Is it something that could prevent you joining the army of some of the first world nations, if not have you thought of looking at joining one of them if possible.

Thirdly, it sounds like your just looking for action and dosh.... It sounds more like you wanna be a merc than a soldier.

Well AussieNick, even though Yasmin does not offer any personal info in the profile, the nickname seems to be of a female. If I am rigth, that's the reason, women are not allowed to serve in the Legion, or French Navy Divers.

If you really want to join a third world army, that is poorly piad and poorly equipped, then they will probably let you.

LeEnfield said:
If you really want to join a third world army, that is poorly piad and poorly equipped, then they will probably let you.

They can actually be just as picky, if not moreso than some of the larger and better paid militaries. 03USMC's comment about them not allowing non-citizens to serve is what I have noticed too.

Africa is always desperate for hired guns.
But expect as others have said, poor pay and conditions. And ultimately a very good chance of being maimed or killed.

The British Army seems to have people from a whole range of Countries and it seems to work out fairly well.

Yes the British military service allows for people from Commonwealth countries to serve just like British citizens.
And I think yes, we need a reason why the French Foreign Legion rejected Yasmin.
Personally I wouldn't go anywhere near the Latin American or African merc units. There is also (or at least was) a Foreign Legion that worked for the Serbians or something. I think it was called the International Brigade or something. But that too has poor pay, conditions etc. The Foreign Legion does in a way take care of people who are maimed in their service but no other mercenary outfit does the same. If you are hit or lost or anything, you are on your own.
I too have expressed interest in serving a country other than mine. That is the United States as a Marine. But this is because I believe my values and those of the USMC coincide very well. That's my motivation.

Last edited:
The British army has now 10% of all it it's soldiers from overseas, and yes they get looked after and are treated on equal terms as as the British soldiers.

LeEnfield said:
The British army has now 10% of all it it's soldiers from overseas, and yes they get looked after and are treated on equal terms as as the British soldiers.

If they all speak the same language it works out. Plus Commonwealth soldiers have the other advantage in that Commonwealth countries don't go to war with one another (though the UK and South Africa did have its political issues because of the Apartheid). The French Foreign Legion was practically a non-entity during World War II because of its high number of German personnell (at least I think that was the case).

Nah, the Legion still fought on. Both for De Gaulle and Vichy France.
One of those strange paradoxes.
The rule in the Legion is you do not have to fight against your home country.
the Germans were given that option. many discharged/deserted to go home the rest served in Africa and were absorbed with those legion units that supported vichy france.
The french troops in Indo China worked alongside the Japanese until betrayed and slaughtered. The Legion made an epic fighting march to escape the japanese.

Back