Joining with drug history?

rararasputin

Hey there,

Some background, I'm 20 years old, graduating with degrees and physics and math next spring. I really want to go to grad school, but for many various reasons, I want to join the military before I continue with my studies.

The only thing is I have a somewhat extensive drug history. I was a very very heavy marijuana smoker for many years. I was a heavy drinker on and off. And I've experimented with just about every drug you can name (except meth thank god). I'm pretty much past that now, I still smoke marijuana and drink occasionally though.

I feel that my drug history has made me a much stronger person. Only I know the military doesn't see it that way. And if I told them the truth before I joined I know they would never let me in. So... I would basically have to lie to even get in. But I really am past this and if I joined I would be 100% sober the entire time. I think the military would really be beneficial to me, I also think I could contribute great a bit to the organization as a scientist.

Also, The only thing I have on my record is and underage drinking ticket.

Just looking for some advice here, thanks for the help.

The military doesn't see it that way for a reason. If you try to enlist you had better be up front with them. If they tell you no, go on your way. You fill out enlistment forms and lie, you have set yourself up to be given a bad conduct discharge when they find out.

It sounds to me like you would not be the best fit for the military.

Sorry, i dont agree too much with with Hokie. I realise I have never served in the US Military, but from my own experience I found as long as I was up front and showed I was dedicated to not using any drugs, I had no drama enlisting. I do agree however that you must be upfront, they will find out and then you will be in a bit of poo. Also, get of the **** for yourself! Life is much better without it. It is all up to you though. Remember that people do stupid stuff when they are young. They shouldn't be tarred with the hippy brush forever!

Yes well the thing is, I have a pretty serious drug history, but nowadays I just drink and smoke weed occasionally (weed is not as bad as alcohol :) ) and I really dont' want to lie, but If I told them the full extent of my use I would never get it, so I would have to stretch the truth. But I dont' really see how they could find out if I streched it a bit. and besides I think I can be a great contribution and the drug testing would be a huge incentive for me not to use.

Well sir, you are an idiot first and foremost!
If the drug testing is the incentive for you not to use, stop wasting our time. Your incentive to stop should be your fitness and well being so that you are in the best possible shape to protect the man next to you. NOW I agree with Hokie - I dont think you are right to have the honour of serving in a military.

Yes well the thing is, I have a pretty serious drug history, but nowadays I just drink and smoke weed occasionally (weed is not as bad as alcohol :) ) and I really dont' want to lie, but If I told them the full extent of my use I would never get it, so I would have to stretch the truth. But I dont' really see how they could find out if I streched it a bit. and besides I think I can be a great contribution and the drug testing would be a huge incentive for me not to use.

You do that lol, go ahead, and try to jump over those hurdles of pissing in a cup about a dozen times before you even arrive at boot camp. They will find out, unless the last time you smoked was 5 years ago, also watch your friends, second hand pot smoke counts as failing a drug test to, it will show, remember if you hang out habitual smokers, you are going to stay a habitual smoker, don't even try to pretty that fact up at all, and lastly, I don't care what your sob story is, when you get there and the military asks you did you smoke weed? And you say no and they find out, they don't give a damn about you and your habit at that point, and do not want to hear your justification for smoking no matter how sad or just you may think it is, so don't even rely on that one.

The armed services don't tolerate drug use, if you do get in at least do not lie about, it doesn't matter how far along you get, when they find out about a hidden history, you are done, that simple.

Hope that helps.

You do that lol, go ahead, and try to jump over those hurdles of pissing in a cup about a dozen times before you even arrive at boot camp. They will find out, unless the last time you smoked was 5 years ago, also watch your friends, second hand pot smoke counts as failing a drug test to, it will show, remember if you hang out habitual smokers, you are going to stay a habitual smoker, don't even try to pretty that fact up at all, and lastly, I don't care what your sob story is, when you get there and the military asks you did you smoke weed? And you say no and they find out, they don't give a damn about you and your habit at that point, and do not want to hear your justification for smoking no matter how sad or just you may think it is, so don't even rely on that one.

The armed services don't tolerate drug use, if you do get in at least do not lie about, it doesn't matter how far along you get, when they find out about a hidden history, you are done, that simple. And the second hand smoke thing made me laugh.

Hope that helps.

Sir, you obviously don't have even the most basic knowledge on marijuana, for one, you can pass a drug test after a week with the right tricks, and second, no one can "find out" you used to smoke unless you tell someone.

The armed services don't tolerate drug use, if you do get in at least do not lie about, it doesn't matter how far along you get, when they find out about a hidden history, you are done, that simple.

Hope that helps.

I'm not trying to give anyone a sob story... but I'm past my past, if that makes any sense to you...

Think you said you still do that stuff.
That's hardly being behind you.
We have enough people who don't belong who are in that waste a lot of time and energy on the part of the folks trying to do it right. You can take your social experimenting elsewhere.

Then you have quite smoking?I'm not making a personal attack, but listen, I was just there, I was in the separation platoon at Parris Island with people who were told (yea you can hide it) yet there they were, being sent home with RE 4 reentry codes on drug use. RE 4 is the ur not coming back code. This is not your working at a convenient store piss in a cup job application, the Armed Services will take it seriously.

Luckily I never did drugs and might have a shot at re entry in the U.S. Armed services. And forget college dorm bullcrap of (no dude you can totally hide it) Your body does weird things when it is stressed, sleep deprived and hungry and out of it's comfort zone, like for instance, pop positive if you have smoked in the past 30 days.

Just be up front with you recruiter and go from there, they can fill you in allot better on drug use history, it's not impossible for you to get it, as long has you come clean prior to enlistment.

(btw do not double post, use the edit feature at the bottom of the reply box, helps on thread clutter)

Last edited:
Think you said you still do that stuff.
That's hardly being behind you.
We have enough people who don't belong who are in that waste a lot of time and energy on the part of the folks trying to do it right. You can take your social experimenting elsewhere.

well my problems are behind me, like I said I am currently an occasional smoker, and if I joined I wouldn't smoke at all, and I hardly see how an ex marijuana smoke would be detrimental, especially considering how everyone I now in the military drinks all the time which is waaaay worse than smoking. And what do you mean by "social experimenting"?

It is such a big deal in the Armed Services because it is ILLEGAL. Does not matter what the social impact of smoking the stuff is, it's illegal. You are applying for a goverment job, I do not know what you are expecting them to tell you.

It is such a big deal in the Armed Services because it is ILLEGAL. Does not matter what the social impact of smoking the stuff is, it's illegal. You are applying for a goverment job, I do not know what you are expecting them to tell you.

My point is I used to have a problem with drugs but I don't anymore, so if I'm sober and I can pass a drug test what difference does it make? Maybe I had a multi billion dollar ponzi scheme and laundered money to the Caribbean. but if they don't know and it doesn't effect my service what difference does it make?

Tell them, if they find out without you telling them it may cause problems, when you enlist you will have to endure a realy long speech on fradualent enlistment, and they DO COUNT not telling about a drug history, even if your as you say "over it".

If you get caught, you may lose your pay, and be sent home on a bad conduct discharge, meaning good luck finding a decent job. Be up front before you talk about enlisting, there is even a moment of truth to disclose this information when you arrive at your repective boot camp, you will get plenty of chances to disclose this info. It does matter, as of why and if you agree with it or not,...

then write your Congressmen.

(and leave the bad analogies to me, it's what im good at around here)

Hello I am new to the forms i actully had somewhat of a similar question i use marijuana for medical use due to pain and didn't want to poison my body with other harmful prescription I'm looking to join the marine corps for a intel i'm still looking threw the jobs they have available but im well over what "google said" the limit of past use is i can smash the requirement for the physical test and recently graduated job corps while there i scored a 87 on the asvab but due to my past use i dont want to get a dishonorable discharge just because of my old medication and no i did not illegally smoke for the fun of i need real answer air force dq'd me already because of a old charge i had but as i was told they are one of the most strict branches to apply for does anyone have any real advice or answers that could help not judgement bs im looking for real answers not a fb aguement on a blog forum.

Back