Joining the Army and very confused

Cold_feelings

Well as you some of you may know, I am an optimistic on things, I have heard stories about being brainwashed in the military (probably someone in a PSY-OP playing their mind games, or so on) but also I have met some people who have tried to join and couldn't do it cause it ask so much and went against their morels, so I have this to ask and one thing to say

Why I am joining is not (I repeat) is not for the money.Honestly I can careless about it, but more so for the journey that I may or may not get.My life is a cold bleak (that's why the name) and I haven't done much for my life (which sucks) so off of the complaining

I would like to know if you will

What was your experience with the U.S. Army?

Is their room to advance and then advance so more?

is their more then just that?

What is basic training and how can I prepare for the endurance times?

I am about 280-305 how must should I shed (I'm am also 5'8) and what would be good?

I took the personality test and got most special forces and PSY-op can you give me your input.

On a side note

Why don't you join the Marine's?

I like their "If you have a paper clip, some string, and a flash light and your surround by the enemy what do you do? kill'em all" nature but when you can look me in the face and tell me having a GED isn't anything and I have to have college (when I'm dead broke) then yeah you can kiss my ass on the part cause I know in the long run I would be the best mfer out there.

Why not the Navy?

Most of what I said about the marines was directed at you, the naval recruiter really pissed me off and ruined it for me for both branches. Yes the seal's are one if the not the best Special Ops out but damn you make the underdog's want to kick your ass's (now I see why the marines get pissed with this branch, hell everyone now they have a lot of nerves)

Air Force?

I don't know much for you nor do I care I have no where near the enough skills in the mind for your group.I understand you are the geek's of the branch (but you have to be in your field of operations) and that isn't what I want.

so well yeah all info would help even question that I didn't ask, that I need to know would be nice.

Thanks

-1-

This thread has been hangin a bit so i will chime in ..maybe it will be relevant to others as well.

Brainwashing.. Well i supose it is to an extent.. to get idividuals to fight as a cohesive unit takes a bit of molding. You will have to do things you dont want to do, and never saw yourself doing while in the service. You will be stepping outside of who you are now. For better or worse.

I was in the US army a while ago (mid 90's)so maybe more recent people can chime in as well. Yes you can advance, it may not always be in the direction you like or what your recruiters told you , but yes you can. Keep your stuff straight, do well, and take on leadership positions as they are offered to you and you can advance. I will tell you that taking college courses and all that personal advancement stuff can be really hard, especially if you are on a deployment schedule. I was in at the end of the cold war when we stopped just training all the time, and were going places and doing things. School was'nt an option.

I washed out of SFAS so I can help you a bit with your SF decision.. The new 18x program is nice because you are groomed for SF. When I went through it was hard just to get to selection because alot of guys units made it real hard for them to leave. No squad leader wants to lose a member with topped out test scores and two years (+)experience...At least they dont have that to worry about anymore... I think the 18x program is good and really helps guys have a chance at getting through the red tape that alot of us struggled with.

As for SF you reaallllly got to want it..bad..more than anything ..same for SEALS and Rangers, I would think. Next if your feet are not as hard as frying pans you wont make it.. Calous on top of calous... You are gonna spend tons of time on them , with a ruck, and in sand..strong feet and ankles. Most of the guys that I saw do well were not huge..but had a high muscle to weight ratio. I was 5'10" and 152 when i went, i was solid.. most of my strength was in my legs, and I did well. Make sure you can run..cuz you will do that , they are long and they are timing you ...always....You need a bit of luck too. The stomach bug went through our hut and knocked out a bunch of us. I went out 3 days from the end with dehydration, with about 6 other guys... I woke up, trailside, with a SFmed sticking an IV in my arm. I didnt finish the day and was out. If you are going to go scuba in SF or be a SEAL you BETTER love cold water, you will see tons of it.

It doesnt matter how much you train for it , it wont be enough because the sleep deprivation and everything else will get you. Make sure you are good at night land nav.. without the gps..Listen to the people who have been and take the advice.-

Only you can decide if its what you want to do morally . I will tell you alot of the situations I was put in as an MP, made me who I am today. Its good experience for life..even if you dont stay in for 20-30.

I would go out on a limb and say you will see action, no matter what you do.. Its how it is now.

I would say that at this point fitness is your priority. Besides figuring out if it is what you want. The service is like anything else, only what you put into it.

Good luck with the decision making

Why don't you join the Marine's?

I like their "If you have a paper clip, some string, and a flash light and your surround by the enemy what do you do? kill'em all" nature but when you can look me in the face and tell me having a GED isn't anything and I have to have college (when I'm dead broke) then yeah you can kiss my ass on the part cause I know in the long run I would be the best mfer out there.

Bull sh*t.

Brainwashing = Every line of work has it and does it but I've found that the military's messages tend to contain a lot more truth than the bull sh*t that flies in the civilian world.

Also, if you're scared about basic training physicals, you've got some issues. How old are you? Any 20-something year old with a decent amount of self respect should be able to hack it.

When I was at basic there were people who couldn't pass the physical test on the very first day, 15 push ups. Mostly females who went to the broken/rehab platoon and became the lines sluts.

I don't know why you need a GED for marines. Australian Infantry requires a pass in maths and english in grade 9, you do grade 9 when you're 14.

GED isn't enough for Marines. You need a high school diploma.
If you want to join the RoK Marines, you need a middle school diploma. Hell yeah.

When I was at basic there were people who couldn't pass the physical test on the very first day, 15 push ups. Mostly females who went to the broken/rehab platoon and became the lines sluts.

I don't know why you need a GED for marines. Australian Infantry requires a pass in maths and english in grade 9, you do grade 9 when you're 14.

If you are healthy and can´t pass a PT test concisting of 15 PU,s you shouldn´t even bother signing up.

Even if that is the case.
PT test first day of basic is designed to get a Zero value to work from.
It´s the last PT test that counts.

And as for the original question.
Exactly WHAT told you you should go SF?
Some dream sheet at the recruiter or a will burning red hot inside you , to help people and/or help people better their lives?
An inner motivation that you haven´t felt about anything else in life.

Weather in latin america, middle east or whereever a large part of your work would be FID missions.

Now SFAS and SFQC are schools.
Tough, no doubt but still schools.
What you need to think about is if you want to do the job..

Back