Joining the Army

OutcastHuman

Alright I took the ASVAB and I can pretty much be anything I want to. I have Armored Recon and Airborne Infantry Officer in mind but I cant decide which one so if you could please help me and tell me pros and cons for each that would be appreciated.

Airborne Infantry Officer, I'm a navy man, but that's my second choice. And the men in the Airborne are the uncontested most well-trained front line troops.

OutcastHuman said:
Alright I took the ASVAB and I can pretty much be anything I want to. I have Armored Recon and Airborne Infantry Officer in mind but I cant decide which one so if you could please help me and tell me pros and cons for each that would be appreciated.

What did you end up getting on the ASVAB and how old were you when takin it?

I had 96th Percentile So they told me I can pretty much do anything I want and I just turned 16 and I took it 4 days ago on the 13th of Feb.

If you intend to be an officer straight away, start thinking college and ROTC, but if Cav Recon is what you want you can do that straight out of high school. You can serve a hitch enlisted and save up your money for college, then use the new GI Bill and with the money you've saved and go to college and ROTC that way. You can even use the rank you've achieved in the regulars in a National Guard unit and get even more benefits in the Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP) while you're in college. After that you can go back into the regulars as an officer with alot of TIS already under your belt or continue on in the Guard. Those who are about to be commissioned fill out a "wish list" of the branches they would like. If you put down a combat arm as your first choice you will often get it - especially infantry - but there is no guarantee that you will. I asked for field artillery and that's what I got. My best friend at OCS asked for infantry and got ordanance instead. Another guy asked for field artillery and got infantry. You serve at the Army's pleasure.

OutcastHuman said:
I had 96th Percentile So they told me I can pretty much do anything I want and I just turned 16 and I took it 4 days ago on the 13th of Feb.

I took it a few months ago, just to see what I would get in a "practice" run, and got in the 95th percentile. I went and talked to a recruiter and they said the same thing as you (you can do anything you want). Now I'm waiting to be 17 and enlist. Hopefully inf.

OutcastHuman said:

Bleh, one point higher than me. I chose Airborne as my first choice and Infantry as my second, I am on some sort of waiting list for the Airborne because Congress froze all enlistments into the Airborne at the time I signed up as part of some sort of six billion dollar budget cut. And if I had not been accepted as Infantry I would have gone artillery, that was my highest line score, I think it was a 145, something way up there that I could not believe.

Vitaly said:
OutcastHuman said:

I took it a few months ago, just to see what I would get in a "practice" run, and got in the 95th percentile. I went and talked to a recruiter and they said the same thing as you (you can do anything you want). Now I'm waiting to be 17 and enlist. Hopefully inf.

What is up with all of us genius' choosing infantry? Why not military intelligence?

Yeah, I did not want anything other than Infantry, right there on the ground in the thick of it and you are actually moving, I could not stand a job where I am not allowed to move around somewhat, I am sure the Infantry will keep us busy running around.

I couldnt stand a desk job it would suck. I need to be active and doing something. Now I just need to decide between airborne and recon.

Hi guys I am new...but I definitely have got the scoop on Army life being retired and not to mention I was a Career Counselor for 10 years. Choose what you want to do for 20 or more years. Also my Dad's best advice choose training that can be used on the outside, you may not want a 20 year career. I won't tell you how good or bad Infantry and Recon are I will say you had better see if the recruiter will get you on post to talk to some of those guys and see what life is really like.

I thought about doing something intel related but I know infantry is the way to go. I think it maybe because I think that it would be what I would be best at and has nothing to do with being smart.

Vitaly said:
I thought about doing something intel related but I know infantry is the way to go. I think it maybe because I think that it would be what I would be best at and has nothing to do with being smart.

I think you have another think coming there.

Redneck said:
I think you have another think coming there.

Lot of thinking going on here now.. :lol:

I think that Vitaly should probably rephrase and rethink his post a bit before any Infantry officers and/or soldiers shows up in here and thinks that he should do a bit more thinking before he posts...

Being in the Infantry may not require as much theoretical knowledge/skill as Intel, but I can assure you that in order to be a good infantry soldier you'll need to be pretty quick in your top as well..

Well look at it this way if they have no infantry who is intel going to report to? No one thats why Infantry make the world go round.

As a future grunt (as in a few months future), I'd say making the world go round is a bit of an overstatement.
You'll find brains in a lot of places. You can also find idiots everywhere.

Back