Joining the Army Reserves

lolwhassup

Hey gents, I'm going to be joining the Reserves. Can anyone offer any advice for me? I have an ASVAB scheduled for tomorrow.

First of all Congratulations! As an ex-recruiter I know that is a high score indeed (although not quite as high as mine a long, long time ago).
I suggest something in the Intel. field and/or computers and satellite technology. Language training will pay off later, for sure.
If you can keep up with the math (and I mean you must have serious math skills) nuclear power field might be of interest.
I don't know how old your are, but if you consider any of the Special Ops jobs (Spec. Forces, Rangers, Seals, etc.), these require a very high level of maturity to be successful.
A lot depends on what you want to do in life - try to gear your military training to your career goals.

Last edited:
First of all Congratulations! As an ex-recruiter I know that is a high score indeed (although not quite as high as mine a long, long time ago).
I suggest something in the Intel. field and/or computers and satellite technology. Language training will pay off later, for sure.
If you can keep up with the math (and I mean you must have serious math skills) nuclear power field might be of interest.
I don't know how old your are, but if you consider any of the Special Ops jobs (Spec. Forces, Rangers, Seals, etc.), these require a very high level of maturity to be successful.
A lot depends on what you want to do in life - try to gear your military training to your career goals.

Thanks for the advice. Well I'm embarassed to say that I'm only 17. I was considering something such as MP or combat medic since the reserves don't offer infantry anymore.

My nephew graduated HS last June. He was state champion heavy weight wrester, 6’5” tall, about 240 lbs, and had a very high GPA. He was highly recruited by colleges all over the country but chose to join the USMC (at 17 in the DEP) as an Infantry Man, his goal is to be a Cop and be a member of a swat team.

It was something of a family scandal, even though my sister and her husband had to sign for him. My own mother (I spent my life in the Army) said in front of me that he was wasting his life.

He just finished boot camp and to see him in uniform is to see everything that the Corps stands for. I love the kid, his is making his own choices and doing what he feels is best for him.

You do the same, make the best deal you can for yourself. It is an old saying but a positive attitude goes a long way twords success, whatever you do.

My nephew graduated HS last June. He was state champion heavy weight wrester, 6’5” tall, about 240 lbs, and had a very high GPA. He was highly recruited by colleges all over the country but chose to join the USMC (at 17 in the DEP) as an Infantry Man, his goal is to be a Cop and be a member of a swat team.

It was something of a family scandal, even though my sister and her husband had to sign for him. My own mother (I spent my life in the Army) said in front of me that he was wasting his life.

He just finished boot camp and to see him in uniform is to see everything that the Corps stands for. I love the kid, his is making his own choices and doing what he feels is best for him.

You do the same, make the best deal you can for yourself. It is an old saying but a positive attitude goes a long way twords success, whatever you do.

Thanks for the advice. I've talked to the recruiter and I've been reserved 74D. If all goes well with the physical, I'll be on my way to Basic in July.

I know of a reserve training unit that has Infantryman, they tend to pick them up out of the National Guard. They also have active duty embedded that go through rotations.

Just a bit of uncommon knowledge.

Thanks for the advice. I've talked to the recruiter and I've been reserved 74D. If all goes well with the physical, I'll be on my way to Basic in July.

I had a look at that job. And I must say it does look rather impressive good job Mate. That is what I would of chosen if I was joining the Reserves over there:cheers:

Good Luck :salute2:

I've signed my contract and have been sworn in yesterday. I'm now officially in the U.S. Army Reserves! :mrgreen:

Back