To join the US and the UK military

I3BrigPvSk

The Viking
I have been thinking for while; why non Americans want to join their forces or even so the British forces.

The United Kingdom has the commonwealth; so people from commonwealth countries can join their military, but what about people from other countries? Doesn't the UK require a citizenship to be in its armed forces?

In the US, don't they require citizenship or at least being a legal immigrant for x amount of years?

You need to be a British citizen, British subject under the 1981 Nationality Act, Citizen of a Commonwealth country or holding British Overseas Territories Citizenship, a Citizen of the Irish Republic or from certain countries in Europe.

You may require a period of residency in the UK for certain roles. Normally five years.

For all branches and all levels? Some doors must be closed for non-citizens?

Non Citizens may not be Warrant Officers or Commissioned Officers, may not hold certain security clearance levels or certain grades or MOS's that require that clearance.

You need to be a British citizen, British subject under the 1981 Nationality Act, Citizen of a Commonwealth country or holding British Overseas Territories Citizenship, a Citizen of the Irish Republic or from certain countries in Europe.

You may require a period of residency in the UK for certain roles. Normally five years.

Thank you, 42RM. To be clear; I have no desire to join, I am too old and I am doing what I like to do. I am asking because I have seen questions about these matters

I was an Army Recruiter in the ‘80’s and, as has already been said, an applicant must be a legal resident of the US along with the restrictions listed by others.

In the early days of Special Forces it was common to serve with soldiers from other countries. Their language skills and knowledge of their “home” countries were a valuable asset.

During my career I served with many men who held dual citizenship, the ones I remember: Ireland, Austria, Israel, Mexico, S. Korea, Japan, Germany, Yugoslavia, Italy and Canada. I’m sure there were other countries that I don’t recall.

Foreign nationals legally residing in any part of the United Kingdom, for more than five years may apply for naturalization and become British citizens. British citizenship can be obtained if you were born in the U.K., you are the child of a person with British citizenship or you apply to be a naturalized citizen. Naturalization can be obtained by persons 18 and older through military service, legal immigration and marriage.

Foreign nationals legally residing in any part of the United Kingdom, for more than five years may apply for naturalization and become British citizens. British citizenship can be obtained if you were born in the U.K., you are the child of a person with British citizenship or you apply to be a naturalized citizen. Naturalization can be obtained by persons 18 and older through military service, legal immigration and marriage.

I assume Canada, Australia, and New Zealand have the same rules as Britain, correct me if I am wrong.

So in a very theoretical way; let us assume I am a Green Card holder, but not an American citizen. How far can I go? If I join the US Army, can I reach the US Army Rangers and if I want to continue to something after that; I will get the door slammed in my face? The same thing with the US Marines; can I reach the US Marine Recon Force or whatever they are called today?

If I was an American; I would be a bit apprehensive to have foreigners in the US military; even if some of them are very motivated and good soldiers/marines. Furthermore, if a foreigner is in the US military, the individual will apply to be a citizen fast as possible, I suppose

I don't mind foriegners in my military at all. They are often some of the best soldiers and truly want to be American.

That's the thing about America, we're a country of foriegners...we're not necessarily concernened with where you're from, we just care about what you can do. Hard work and performance are what matters.

No, as a foriegner you wouldn't be able to go into those specialized areas because they require a secret clearance. In order to have a secret clearance you have to be a citizen.

I don't mind foriegners in my military at all. They are often some of the best soldiers and truly want to be American.

That's the thing about America, we're a country of foriegners...we're not necessarily concernened with where you're from, we just care about what you can do. Hard work and performance are what matters.

No, as a foriegner you wouldn't be able to go into those specialized areas because they require a secret clearance. In order to have a secret clearance you have to be a citizen.

I know, but the immigration policy in the US doesn't work so well, especially today, when the unemployment figures are quite high. In the US my profession requires citizenship (FEMA) Canada is much easier and they share the history of being immigrants

You have to be a citizen of the US to apply, screen and be assigned to Force Recon and or MARSOC.

Back