which to join? navy seals, army SF, marine recon

03USMC said:
Ever hear the TermFraudulent Enlistment?

Sometimes Followed by the term Court Martial. Which is often followed by sets of letters generally OTH .

Real nice though. Tellin a kid to lie to the MEPS personnel.

My recruiter told me to lie to the MEPS personnell...well, my Gunny Sgt. told me to lie; we actually went over the exact things I would say

But anyway, I wouldnt count on getting in with that Heart Murmer, and sure as s**t wouldnt not mention it...my cousin went in and shortly, after two surgeries, is medically discharged

RNDERSAFE

YOU'RE GAY ,DONT THREATEN ME. IVE SPENT SPENT MORE TIME LOOKING AT SPOTS ON CHOWHALL SILVERWARE THAN TIME YOU'VE BEEN IN THE MARINE CORPS

dont give me that. its just like when they used to tell us "'Marines don't steal" then all of a sudden your flack jacket is gone

Re: RNDERSAFE

mrmillerusmc said:
YOU'RE GAY ,DONT THREATEN ME. IVE SPENT SPENT MORE TIME LOOKING AT SPOTS ON CHOWHALL SILVERWARE THAN TIME YOU'VE BEEN IN THE MARINE CORPS

Lotta time pullin Mess Duty huh? Explains alot.

RnderSafe said:
I would also suggest you not comment on the professionalism of any military branch as you have no experience nor service to base such a blind assumption on.

Talk to some recruiters - find out your options.

Vitaly said:
First off, you have to sign a long contract of 6 years. Also the 5-6 18x'ers i know all failed out of SFAS. Think about it if you are part of the cadre... Who would you pick, a kid fresh out of INF. OSUT + the Pre-SFAS program, or a guy that has been in, got some quals, and is more used to the military ideals for leadership? I am bilingual which helps my chances, but I still do not think it is worth it to attempt this.

It is good that you recognize you don't have the drive to be in SF, however, do not attempt to slight the 18X program simply because you need to make excuses as to why you aren't signing. Many 18Xers have in fact passed SFAS, gone on to graduate SFQC, receive their tabs and are now operational on various ODAs. Qualifications and TIS do not mean much if you can't handle the physical and mental rigors of SF. It's up to the soldier whether or not he passes.

Then hopefully after 6-12 months in go to RIP and then Ranger School. I want to then go to SFAS. Hopefully by then I will have been able to complete atleast some of these, Mountain warfare + the winter course in Mountain warfare, Air assault, or sniper. As for the other options, I do not know because I am doing Army.

If you are able to attempt RIP and pass, you will not see Ranger School for at least a year or more, and you will not see SFAS for three to four years after. If your main goal is to attend Ranger school and not be a Ranger, then you have no reason to try RIP - all conventional infantry units have slots for Ranger school. I would also advise you to get rid of this star struck attitude concerning military schools. Schools aren't for shiney badges to show off, they're to train you.

I am not attempting to slight the program. What I have stated is that the fact the 18xers that I know all failed. Also I gave a reason for my own reason for no signing that contract. Drive? I don't believe the amount of drive I have is even imaginable to any-one. Every time I weight life or run all I think about is SFAS, thats what gets that last rep up, or that last sprint after 2 miles. Its been a dream of mine since I decided that I would like a military career at the age of five. At 7 I dragged my dad out to the shooting range, and have been going bi-monthly since, I took up swimming for conditioning, same with track. When I was considering BUD/s I even got open water scuba certified. Even with the self-motivation toward my goal of SFAS, I still realize that I have a better chance of passing SFAS and being accepted into the Q-Course with more TIS and more qualifications. Why do I want qualifications? Not for the badge. I don't want to show off my shiny badges, I want to be trained in valuable military skills that will help me in the end-goal. I think of life in percentages, the more I do to prepare, the better chance I have for sucess. My belief is that preperation is the key. Finaly, about the time periods for RIP and then SFAS, my information came from my recruiter. I will have to talk to him about this. Also, what is wrong with wanting to be Ranger qualified and not in the Regiment? An ex-SF guy that I know did just that. All he said was don't tell any Rangers that it is what you want to do, and you will be fine. He said that he did that, and skills learned through Ranger School helped him to pass SFAS, which all relates back to what I want to do. And that's pass SFAS.

Doesn't look to me like this individual is salvagable. Seems to me more than a temporary ban is necessary. Just my .02¢.

Vitaly said:
I am not attempting to slight the program.

Yes you are, do not do it again. As I said, it is working for many that have the drive (physical and mental) to push through and make it. It is fine that you want to wait, it is also fine that your friends did not make it (either they quit, or they were not capable), but it has no bearing on how the program is run. No one is choosen over another simply because of his qualifications - ALL must prove themselves, and I can promise you this, in SF, badges and schools are not impressive.

Even with the self-motivation toward my goal of SFAS, I still realize that I have a better chance of passing SFAS and being accepted into the Q-Course with more TIS and more qualifications. Why do I want qualifications? Not for the badge. I don't want to show off my shiny badges, I want to be trained in valuable military skills that will help me in the end-goal. I think of life in percentages, the more I do to prepare, the better chance I have for sucess. My belief is that preperation is the key.

Sniper school, air assult, et al have nothing to do with SFAS. ;) No one cares if you've been to Pathfinder school at SFAS.

You may or may not have a better chance of passing SFAS, it depends on the attitude you keep through your service, how well you preform, and if you keep your nose clean. In other words, it will be up to you and how you use your experiences.

Finaly, about the time periods for RIP and then SFAS, my information came from my recruiter. I will have to talk to him about this.

Your recruiter is wrong if he believes the Ranger Regt is going to send you to Ranger school before you have spent some time in and proven yourself.

Also, what is wrong with wanting to be Ranger qualified and not in the Regiment? An ex-SF guy that I know did just that. All he said was don't tell any Rangers that it is what you want to do, and you will be fine. He said that he did that, and skills learned through Ranger School helped him to pass SFAS, which all relates back to what I want to do. And that's pass SFAS.

There are two things happening here .. you either A) do not know what RIP is or B) your recruiter does not understand what RIP is.

RIP is Ranger Indoc Program - it is a little over three weeks, and once you pass you will be assigned to one of the three Ranger battalions in the 75th Regt. You will spend at least a year serving as a Ranger before the Regiment will send you to Ranger School. RIP has nothing to do with Ranger School.

If all you want to do is attend Ranger school - you are wasting your time attempting to go to RIP and putting your career at risk. You need to stay an 11B in whatever abn unit you join, get a slot for Ranger School and go.

I'm just saying that I will hopefully be able to get the chance to complete different training before attempting SFAS, and that the training hopefully may help me pass. That may or may not help, but in my own personal opinion I would rather complete different training and maybe pick up something useful for succesful completion of SFAS.

Also, thank you for the info about RIP and Ranger School. I was typing at about 2 am. after a school day starting at 6 am. What I meant is that I do not want to be a part of the reg. but do want to learn the skills of Rangers. Also part of my babble was directly what my recruiter said. I do not know if he understood my goal of not being part of the regiment and he said for me to do RIP. Then get sent to the school. Then do SFAS. Thank you for clearing this up for me. The fact that he didn't understand maybe due to the fact that most of our conversations go on about Inf. OSUT and Abn. because I focus on the base for the pinnacle instead of the pinnacle itself.

Vitaly said:
I'm just saying that I will hopefully be able to get the chance to complete different training before attempting SFAS, and that the training hopefully may help me pass. That may or may not help, but in my own personal opinion I would rather complete different training and maybe pick up something useful for succesful completion of SFAS.

And they will, but remember to keep a positive attitude - because in the end, as I said, it's going to be up to how you use those experiences.

Also, thank you for the info about RIP and Ranger School. I was typing at about 2 am. after a school day starting at 6 am. What I meant is that I do not want to be a part of the reg. but do want to learn the skills of Rangers. Also part of my babble was directly what my recruiter said. I do not know if he understood my goal of not being part of the regiment and he said for me to do RIP. Then get sent to the school. Then do SFAS. Thank you for clearing this up for me. The fact that he didn't understand maybe due to the fact that most of our conversations go on about Inf. OSUT and Abn. because I focus on the base for the pinnacle instead of the pinnacle itself.

Ranger school is an excellent leadership school, make certain you excell at your unit so you have the opportunity to attend.

It is good that you are focusing on your 25m target and not getting too far ahead of yourself.

i've been told you go to MEPS before you sign your 18x contract, so ... if the dr. finds something wrong with you physically and the only thing you qualify for is infantry, you can back out (assuming you don't want infantry).

but ... if, in reality, it does not really work that way ...

that would mean you get kicked back to infantry and are still required to serve the 5-6 year contract as an infantryman.

does anyone know how this works ?

so what happens if his murmur comes up in the field and they dont know about it. he could have just killed his entire squad, tied up the corpman all b/c he didnt want to tell MEPS about a simple heart murmur that could have been benign in the field w/ a little bit of meds.

what is normal and benign in the civilian sect, can become quite malicious when you get into the rigors of the military. i wouldnt lie to them in MEPS b/c if it is benign you can still get in w/ a waiver.

MilidarUSMC said:
so what happens if his murmur comes up in the field and they dont know about it. he could have just killed his entire squad, tied up the corpman all b/c he didnt want to tell MEPS about a simple heart murmur that could have been benign in the field w/ a little bit of meds.

what is normal and benign in the civilian sect, can become quite malicious when you get into the rigors of the military. i wouldnt lie to them in MEPS b/c if it is benign you can still get in w/ a waiver.

i agree w/ your assessment , however, i HIGHLY doubt that i would require meds ... i live a very active lifestyle ... have been in highly stressful situations in the past, never had heart malfunction ... in past years doctors have commented and said that the heart murmur can no longer be heard, so it is possible that it has disappeared entirely.

does anyone know if you sign your contract for the 4+ year commitment BEFORE or AFTER meps (where i have been told you get your physical) ?

thanks

you sign your contract at Meps. And remember you don't have to sign up to go SF you can sign up 11x and do airborne and ranger serve for a while and then after you get E5 go for SF like it should be.

Armychef said:
you sign your contract at Meps. And remember you don't have to sign up to go SF you can sign up 11x and do airborne and ranger serve for a while and then after you get E5 go for SF like it should be.

yeah i just read about that earlier today armychef ... if i do decide to serve i think i will take your advice and approach SF following that route.

i think that would be a more level headed way to do things ... work my way up to it ... plus i would be interested to function in a ranger battalion and see what that would be like.

thanks for the advice

REMOVED

Mod edit: Second hand information is not wanted nor permitted in this section, do not post it again.

Back