JiuJitsu

A Can of Man

Je suis aware
Hey guys, I've been a bit bothered by the fact that there just isn't any Krav Maga here in Korea and the traditional Korean martial arts just aren't worth my time (basically need to do 10+ years before you get some proficiency where it's anywhere near useful).
I thought Judo might be a good one but also been thinking of doing Jiu Jitsu.
Do you think learning Jiu Jitsu for two or three months will be effective or will I just learn how to crawl around the ground? Wished I had thought of this earlier. Arrrgh.

There's nothing wrong with Judo but as in all these things it will only teach you a few absolute basics in three months, like make you aware of "balance" and teach you a few very basic throws. It is an advantage but as you would expect it certainly won't make you proficient or anything vaguely like it.

If you can't do anything else, why not have a go, it will help your fitness and you might really enjoy it. It is great fun.

Ask Aiki, he's possibly the most experienced here. You may wish to try Aiki Judo or any of the variations..

Last edited:
I told you before 13th, no such thing as Jujutsu with an i in it. That's a Western addition. There in Korea, I assume the i's would not be there unless you guys are extremely Americanized over there.

Even if their was a Krav Maga there, doesn't mean you would get anything more out of that than in another system in only three months. I would strongly recommend you find something and train, don't worry about the time, just get in the habit of going and training on a regular and consistent basis. Sitting around belly aching about woulda shoulda coulda is just going to make frustrated and raise your anxiety level.

Korea has plenty of good systems, I would not agree with you on what you said. 10 yrs is what they like to say but everyone is different, some get really proficient in only a couple of years and some take 1 or 2 decades. Eventually, if you stick with it, the end result is generally the same, time to die. There in Korea, three that come to mind for you to train in is Yudo (Judo in Japanese), Hapkido, Hwarang Do and their are others as well.

If your thinking is their anything out there thats going to make you Rambo in three months I would say a bigtime NO. Especially if that's your desire to progress that fast, that will slow you down, then your looking at possibly three decades. The training has to be because you like it, not because your seeking an end result.

Yeah I just decided to take up Judo and I've been going to practices and it's pretty good. Training's fun but yeah the end result is also pretty important.

Judo's not bad but Jujutsu is better IMHO. More complete and well rounded, generally. I only say generally because that also depends on the Instructor and what the individual one decides to emphasize.

Keep in mind Judo was developed by Dr/Professor Jigoro Kano. He was a Jujutsu practitioner for many years and decided to take parts of it to develop a program kids could take in schools in Japan. There is where Judo was born. Kano was also the first to utilize colored belts.

If you have access to a crash mat, I suggest you use it. Not the regular mats you find on the deck in a dojo/dojang but the mat that the dojo's/dojang's that are wealthy can afford for teaching how to fall and such without getting hurt until you can graduate to doing the falls on the regular mats. I would strongly suggest the crash mat for front falls, backfalls and of course, especially, jump front falls, jump back falls, tornado falls and cat falls. When you learn front falls be sure to use your lower forearms (close to the wrist), do not allow the elbow to hit the deck or your shoulders will pop out and thats not pretty and it also does not tickle.

Last edited:
Back