Javelin v. T-72

seryi

I've watched a video of a Javelin missile hitting the T72 turret (90 degrees), and blowing the entire tanks to pieces.(litterally).
I'm just curious - are there any later model tanks that can /can not withstand a Javelin. And if US and Russia would suddenly go to war, is it possible for the US mil to disable the great majority of Russian tanks. (I've heard T72 are still in service in great Numbers!)
Thanks

The T-72 fielded by the Iraqi army was probably the T-72A version you did see blow up, that tank was the export version of the older model and did not have any armour uppgrades, and yes a lot of T-72s are still in service in Russia but these tanks have been significatly uppgraded as the T-72BM and the T-72BM1 that got reactive armor upgrades.

The T-90S/M and the T-80UM Bars got shotora protection kits that effectivly defend the tanks against ATGMs such as Javelin and french built Milan 3 systems. But still yes ATGMs will be a effective weapon even with the shotora system on the tanks. But the Russians got the Kornet system that is equivalent effective against M1A2s as the Javelin probably is against T-72BM1s and T-80UM Bars and T-90 tanks. :)

Good site with different T-72 types:

http://www.jedsite.info/tanks/tango-numbers-su/t-72_series/t72-series.html

Another good site with upgrades to older tank models:

http://www.morozov.com.ua/eng/index.php?menu=m1.php

Cheers:
Doc.S

:viking:

Well, I saw not an Iraqi tank, but the Javelin field testing. The T72 was blown to pieces, i was also told that the same thing couln't happen to M1. Well anyway, if russians have shit for M1's, then i could rest at peace.

Thanks
:)

seryi said:
I've watched a video of a Javelin missile hitting the T72 turret (90 degrees), and blowing the entire tanks to pieces.(litterally).
I'm just curious - are there any later tanks that can /can not withstand a Javelin. And if US and Russia would suddenly go to war, is it possible for the US mil to disable the great majority of Russian tanks. (I've heard T72 are still in service in great Numbers!)
Thanks

Do you have a web link to this video or was it a VHS or something? I'd be interested in seeing this piece of footage.

The tank was packed with explosives to make the explosion bigger.

But the Javelin can penetrate any tank's top and kill it, not with force in the video.

seryi said:
I'm just curious - are there any later model tanks that can /can not withstand a Javelin. And if US and Russia would suddenly go to war, is it possible for the US mil to disable the great majority of Russian tanks. (I've heard T72 are still in service in great Numbers!)
Thanks

We probably saw the same video. While Javelin can definitely take out T-72s and just about any other tank including the M1, it will not blow a tank to pieces. I suspect there was a large explosive charge in the test tank, but even an catastrophic kill on a T-72 (and we've seen many of those in Iraq) will at most blow off its turret.

In the longer term, most tanks will get active point defenses to offset the growing threat of ATGMs. HOwever I don't think any of the existing Russian systems (Drozd, Arena) are effective against a diving missile like the Javelin. They have a dead zone right above the tank.

134.jpg

135.jpg

136.jpg

137.jpg

138.jpg

139.jpg

140.jpg

141.jpg

on this picture you can already see that explosions has already started.[/url]

Oh I missed that. That is pretty weird and doesn't make sense. But hell, that photo could have been doctored. Plus I don't see a reason to fake it, the Jav can kill a T-72 over the top.

My guess is that the javalin does a bit more damage compared to the Bill 2 or equal damage.

I can supply a video of a BILL 2 firing.

Kozzy Mozzy said:
Oh I missed that. That is pretty weird and doesn't make sense. But h**l, that photo could have been doctored. Plus I don't see a reason to fake it, the Jav can kill a T-72 over the top.

Are you sure?? Because this video is fake.

Back