JAS 39 Gripen

yeah the Gripen is a nice plane.
it had stuff on it in 1988 that wasnt even on american,british or french planning boards at that time.

It s a lot newer though the f-16 does get a lot of upgrades. The sharing of common parts is probably a good thing as countries who want to move on from the F-16 can i guess and for NATO allies it is good. And i read somewhere that it is being marketed by BAe as its middle range/class plane beween the hawk and eurofightr/typhoon

The only thing complex non-Swedish on that plane besides some of the weaponry is the engine, built under license from GE. Not the same model as one of the engines available for the F-16.
The Sweds put a lot of emphasis on being self-sufficent and the Gripen is the result (among other things).

See now this is a good fighter aircraft joining the ranks of the F-14 Tomcat and others.... I heard about that plain awhile back very good aircraft.

The aircraft engine is a cooperation between GE and Volvoaero, they make parts of the engines, Volvo doing one set of parts and GE one set of parts. (on F414, F404, F110 F100. RM12 is sovly manufactured by Volvoaero)

Without one of the manufacures there wont be an engine like these. Lose Volvo and it wont be built, lose GE and it wont be built. They are dependent on eachother. GE stands as the head manufacutre, Volvoaero is a contracted supplier.

Back