Jarhead - The Movie

Redleg

The fire is everything
Staff member
Jarhead - The movie

Anyone who's heard anything about this upcoming movie?
Supposed to be released in November this year.

Plot Outline: Based on former Marine Anthony Swofford's best-selling 2003 book about his pre-Desert Storm experiences in Saudi Arabia and about his experiences fighting in Kuwait

Jarhead (the self-imposed moniker of the Marines) follows "Swoff" (Gyllenhaal), a third-generation enlistee, from a sobering stint in boot camp to active duty, sporting a sniper's rifle and a hundred-pound ruck on his back through Middle East deserts with no cover from intolerable heat or from Iraqi soldiers, always potentially just over the next horizon. Swoff and his fellow Marines sustain themselves with sardonic humanity and wicked comedy on blazing desert fields in a country they don't understand against an enemy they can't see for a cause they don't fully fathom... Foxx portrays Sergeant Sykes, a Marine lifer who heads up Swofford's scout/sniper platoon, while Sarsgaard is Swoff's friend and mentor, Troy, a die-hard member of STA-their elite Marine Unit.
http://www.jarheadmovie.com/

Just saw the trailer on apple.com:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/jarhead/

I`ve read that book!
It`s quite good, there`s a lot about his early life and his relationship with his father, not actually much about combat or the gulf war.

Hm, sounds interesting.
Maybe I should try to watch this one when it's released.. :)

I wasn't surprised when I saw they were making this into a movie. It plays right into Hollywoods hand and ideals of what military life actually is.

I am sure the movie will imply Swafford's opinion and perspective of Marine Corps service is the end all be all of Marine Corps life, just as the book did.

Nearly everything he said regarding weapons, equipment and field ops sounded a bit strange, as if he wasn't sure as to what he was talking about, and some was just out and out wrong.

All in all, I think Swafford is a very good writer and I did enjoy reading his book, but it was obviously writing from his and only his perspective, despite the implication that such an attitude is wide spread.

The Marine Corps is what you make of it, and given his past and obvious issues - he seemed to see everything in a negative light.

His book didn't portray the average Marine by any means, and I hope the movie will put the focus where it belongs, on one Marine's experiences based on past emotional and psychological pain brought into his new enviorment.

I heard about it too!

It will be out there in theaters the first week of November and seems to be dedicated to the memory of WW I

How would you rate it, FULLMETALJACKET? I want to see it, but there's something inside me that says, don't see it, it is not worth it. :lol: I just don't want to waste my money on an ok movie.

i ve heard that its good from some people but then from retired and current Marines ive heard it was dumb but i havnt seen it myself yet to make a decision for myself

I've come out on leave and I've read the blurb... basically about what happens when you got highly trained and motivated people sit out in the sun and do nothing for months a stretch.
I can relate to it already.

the_13th_redneck said:
I've come out on leave and I've read the blurb... basically about what happens when you got highly trained and motivated people sit out in the sun and do nothing for months a stretch.
I can relate to it already.

Agree. The movie was very good and true. Only been realised over here in UK

Sgt. Addy said:
Agree. The movie was very good and true. Only been realised over here in UK

What about it did you find to be true?

I don't watch war movies for accuracy, sure it's hard not to point out the falsities when you're watching them but for the most party I just try to be entertained. This movie didn't entertain me regardless of it's unrealistic plot lines. I thought the movie itself was boring and doesn't hold a candle to the other great Hollywoodized movies we have out there like FMJ, Platoon, Blackhawk Down, etc.

Someone said "this is what happens when you get highly trained and motivated people to sit around and do nothing" (I am paraphrasing). Highly trained individuals do not fire their rifles into the air. It looked more like a homosexual frat party go awry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not seen the film but read the book yesterday.So good,I took the afternoon off to read it.Yes,there are some strange inconsistencies in it but it is a story being told by someone with borderline mental illnessess.
Hollywood can never reproduce the narrative story(although sometimes they do a good job).
Will watch it tomorrow and see how they've done.

I had a hard time watching it because I've dated Marines. Parts of it kinda hit home with the lonely issues he was feeling. Other then that it was good I guess. Jake Gyllenhaal with his shirt of was great! Yay for santa hats and cammies!

the book was waaay better than the movie but no suprise there

interesting (or not) fact: the dude that played krueg (the texan) (sp) is playing the lead in the next fast and furious. he also played mike winchell in friday night lights

Back