Jarhead - The Movie

Not really. It's sucks. It needs more action. Marines supposed to be first to fight. Then let the army do their job behind marines. Oh, yeah. Gen. Schwarskopf is a big army man.

Fox said:
Not really. It's sucks. It needs more action. Marines supposed to be first to fight. Then let the army do their job behind marines. Oh, yeah. Gen. Schwarskopf is a big army man.

That's actually not how things work at all, but that comment is sort of fitting for this thread about a movie that was completely inaccurate. :mrgreen:

The guy was a jerk who was more of a drain on his unit than anything. If I had a soldier (or Marine) who acted like that, I doubt he would've been liked by other troops. It was one of those tales:

I was a rebel and everyone loved me.

I'm sure.

zander_0633 said:
WEll, the movie is full of rubbish?

For the most part yes. I would say a good portion of the movie is exaggerated to a good degree and the parts that aren't are exaggerated to at least a small degree.

The scene where the Marines are drinking and dancing and the guy is on watch. . sorry that never would have happened in a Marine infantry unit. Everyone carousing around like idiots, loud music, drinking, all that was pretty much a no-no in the field and especially during deployment. They show that Marine as singled out but his NCO and SNCO would have been busted at least one pay grade not to mention NJP for the other marines.

I don't care how stupid a person is, the Corporal of the guard or the sergeant of the guard or at the very least a roving sentry would have told him to shut that crap down. Then there is the fact of the guy on sentry duty. . wrong in so many ways I can not even begin to count them.

And that is just one scene. So, complete rubbish? No. 98.9% rubbish? Yep.

bulldogg said:
As near as I can tell having finally watched this steaming pile of celluloid this movie is the 21st century homage to Stanley Kubrik's Full Metal Jacket, hell even half the DI's lines are swiped from the original film.

Hollow-wood does not make films to reflect reality. They make films to make money and to do that you must entertain. Reality is not entertaining for most people hence the crap you see on the screen purporting to be reality.

Someone stop me when I get to a "military" film that reflects reality...
Green Berets
Full Metal Jacket
Hunt For Red October
Top Gun
Rambo (any of them)
POW
Boys in Company C
Windtalkers
Pearl Harbour
The Longest Day
Dirty Dozen
Kelly's Heroes
Anzio
The Guns of Navarone
Gallipoli
Adanngaman
Apocalypse Now
Band of Outsiders
Deer Hunter
Devil's Brigade
Enema at the Gates
Gettysburg
Hart's War
Clear and Present Danger
The Sum of All Fears
Kandahar
Men of Honor
Men of War
Red Scorpion
The Patriot
Platoon
Red Dawn
The Last Samurai
Tears of the Sun
The Killing Fields
Tora Tora Tora
South Pacific
Three Kings
U-571
K-19
Patton
Hamburger Hill
The Golden Triangle
Thin Red Line
ad nauseum...

Great entertainment- sure, true to life abso:cen:inglutely not. What is more disturbing to me than this film is the fact some of you actually had the thought it might possibly could be real. :shock:

You should probably leave Gallipoli out of the list although it has fictitious moments it is essentialy a true account of the horrors that where the Gallipoli campaign. Might just be me looking after my own but I think it's alright!!

A Bridge Too Far was more like a historical account rather than a real movie. I guess that's why it kinda didnt' work out at the box offices, though I thought it was a good film.

We Were Soldiers is one of the few saving graces of modern war movies. Even it sorta butchered the actual historical events.

gotta admit, though, "WE Were Soldiers Once... and Young" was good. That was an excellent book. Blackhawk Down was good as well, and it didn't seem to butcher too much of the technical info. Of course, I might have missed something.

They had to fit a whole book into a movie without getting audiences lost in small details and a gazillion people to remember.
So I think some changes they made were alright. I read both Black Hawk Down and We Were Soldiers Once... And Young and seen the movies. I think they did alright, though maybe in the movie BHD, they could have made the heroic deeds spread out a bit more rather than throw it all on SSgt Eversmann.

The movie and the book should carry a disclaimer.

This Movie/Book is the self serving ramblings and possible/probable fabrications of Mister Swoffard.

This movie should in no way be construed to factually represent the service of Marines assigned to STA Platoon 2nd Bn 7th Marine Regt 1st Marine Division FMF 1989-1992.

This movie/Book should not be used to gauge the commitment, dedication, character of service of any Marine OTHER than Mister Swofford.

Back