japan's millitary power

ironface

Japan has strong marine though they are still in the contract of the WW2
but they are really aggressive....

The Japanese Defense Force has a very disciplined and well developled/organized Marine Corp., but not similar to the well known US Marines as Doctrines change since World War II.

One is question is, what are we here to discuss? The Japanese Military or JDF's Marine Corp?

some news say japan's marine is so very develop that it is almost
the 2d power of the world, any introduction about its marine?

The report or whatever information claiming that Japan's Marine Corp is Second most powerful in the world is tremendously over-stated. They have forgotten the British Royal Marines whose capabilities are far beyond of Japan's limited defensive role. However, Japan's Marine Corp may be considered to be world-class. But that is only my speculations.

You have to remember that Japan does not have a true Marine Corp. The only that is near to the concept is the Maritime Self Defense Force (Navy) Naval Infantry. Try not to confuse the concepts.

As I said before, the reason why The Self Defense Force does not have a true Marine Corp is because of the imposed Limitions on Military Capabilities to put itself to a defensive role.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/japan/weapons.htm

ironface said:
Japan has strong marine though they are still in the contract of the WW2
but they are really aggressive....

You're talking about Japan's military power and you didn't even mention the Maritime and Air Self Defense Forces?
Generally the top Marine Corps of the world tend to include the following:
USMC
Royal Marines
RoKMC
and often I believe, the Taiwanese Marines are also included.
It's not a concrete list and of course opinions vary but the Japanese one (if there is one???) is usually never on the list.
Is there even a Japanese Marines because I don't think they exist. Do you mean Navy?

Like I said, I don't believe the Japanese Self Defense Force has Marines. Why would it? It doesn't fit the mission profile. The Marines are a mainly OFFENSIVE arm.

the_13th_redneck said:
Like I said, I don't believe the Japanese Self Defense Force has Marines. Why would it? It doesn't fit the mission profile. The Marines are a mainly OFFENSIVE arm.

Not quite true. When most people talk about Marines, they usually think of large waves of infantry hitting the beaches of Iwo Jima. However, the original purpose of a nation's Marines was to serve aboard warships and board enemy vessels in times of war, along with acting as sharpshooters to pick off naval officers directing the battle aboard a hostile ship. Also, as evidenced by the raid led by Lt. Steven Decatur in Tripoli Harbor, Marines also acted as a sort of early special operations unit at times.

Now, amphibious warfare operations is a primary mission of today's Marines, but back during World War II, a very large amount of amphibious landings, and all the landings in Europe, were made by Regular Army units, such as the US 3rd Infantry Division in Italy and Southern France, and the 1st Infantry Division in Normandy. Only in the Pacific Theater were there large scale landings by US Marines, and even here, a good amount of these operations were made my US Army troops.

Also, in a lot of nations, Marines serve mostly as elite infantry units, instead of as amphibious assault troops.

Yes but I mean the CURRENT Marines and their main mission profile. Guarding ships and installations is a very very secondary task compared to amphibious warfare.
Also, perhaps Marines serving in primarily defensive tasks could be something unique to the US, UK and perhaps Spain as well.
And as Elite regular troops, this is made in the idea that they will be offensive units, while regulars secure areas they have already taken. So still in modern day, Marines are an offensive arm.

Japan used to have the Riekusenti (sp) that served as a Naval Infantry Landing Force. They were a small unit, and made up of Sailors and Navy Officers. They served a Marine Type purpose. I don't know if any formations still exsist.

My uncle lived in Japan for 7 years and tried to join there Navy but they wouldnt let him. But he said there far more developed then people realize. I've seen pictures of there boats and there heavly armored and smaller to go faster. I'm not saying there 2nd best im just saying there navy is a force to be reconed with.. but isn't most Island countrys?

Back