Japanese WW2 Relic....What is it?

kaleba

My grandpa brought it back from the war. Wondering what it is, and if its worth anything.

m64av.jpg

2jaxjjb.jpg

t7gx6x.jpg

wlq93q.jpg

qy672b.jpg

I can take more pictures if needed.

It is a low powered theodolite used for many things including plotting the "fall of shot" from emplaced gun batteries, or laying out major works, airfields etc.

It would certainly be worth something. It the theodolite itself is in as good a condition as it looks, quite big money to the right person. What ever you do, do NOT sell it without getting someone to value it, whether they are a military expert or a collector of optical devices, my advice would be to go with the second option. Get at least three valuations. Get an older Japanese person to read all of the writing, as it will be somewhat cryptic e.g. "precision device optical viewing" or similar, get the makers name and try to contact them.

This is a delicate precision device do not handle it roughly or let inexperienced persons "play" with it. Do not lose any of the attachments if you have them, I think I see the handle of the lens cleaning brush, there may be such things as lens caps and sun shields and a small screwdriver and several small bars for adjusting the levels, they are very important if they were originally fitted and will increase the value considerably if it is complete.

Personally I would keep it, not only as a keepsake, but as a nicely made optical device.

Last edited:
It is a low powered theodolite used for many things including plotting the "fall of shot" from emplaced gun batteries, or laying out major works, airfields etc.

It would certainly be worth something. It the theodolite itself is in as good a condition as it looks, quite big money to the right person. What ever you do, do NOT sell it without getting someone to value it, whether they are a military expert or a collector of optical devices, my advice would be to go with the second option. Get at least three valuations. Get an older Japanese person to read all of the writing, as it will be somewhat cryptic e.g. "precision device optical viewing" or similar, get the makers name and try to contact them.

This is a delicate precision device do not handle it roughly or let inexperienced persons "play" with it. Do not lose any of the attachments if you have them, I think I see the handle of the lens cleaning brush, there may be such things as lens caps and sun shields and a small screwdriver and several small bars for adjusting the levels, they are very important if they were originally fitted and will increase the value considerably if it is complete.

Personally I would keep it, not only as a keepsake, but as a nicely made optical device.

Thank you very much. Do you know how one would go about finding a collector of optical devices? Maybe you know one? Times are ruff, and I could use the extra money.

Thank you very much. Do you know how one would go about finding a collector of optical devices? Maybe you know one? Times are ruff, and I could use the extra money.
I would search the internet I know of no one personally.

If I lived nearby, I would have a look at it myself, as it's value is very dependant on it's condition and appearance. e.g. just one stripped thread on any of the adjustments, and it's value would plummet. It is not the sort of thing one would normally buy without having examined it closely, and knew a little of its history.

Personally I think that if you sell it, you will regret your decision in years to come.

Last edited:
The first three letters indicate that it's a "Type 98" of some kind.
The 4th letter means "light"
The 5th and 6th mean "Surface"
Don't know the rest.

I would think you may have some luck by hitting up the local land surveyors and asking them. Check with your county assessor's office, as well.

I just checked his profile... he hasn't been on here since January 12th, and this thread is the only post he did. I'm betting he got the information he needed, and has moved on...

hey

sumone gave me one of those old japanese boxes does anyone know if there worth anythng of did that guy sell hes..

Back