japanese writer suggests few ways to defend aginist china

rkmac48 said:
Arclight said:
rkmac48 said:
Arclight said:
rkmac48 said:
The fact that we're even having to discuss this burns my butt big time. If Truman had allowed MacArthur to exercise his command of military strategy, communism would have been driven out of China by the point of a gun back in the 1950's.

By attacking China on its mainland through MacArthur's strategy, I figure that would risk war with the Soviet Union as well.

Could be. But if we, the free world, had gone to war with China, Russia, and North Korea, how many millions would have not been subjected to ruthless Communitst purges? It would have been the ultimate containment. Vietnam would not have occured... and the list goes on and on.

That is only if we could win. The Soviets could put up a good fight in Europe and the Chinese in Asia.

Yeah, but we had nukes. The soviets did too, thanks to the Rosenbergs... but we'd have wiped them out. The U.N. may actually have been useful back then - likely, it would have supported a massive effort to stop China and Company.

The United States would not have resorted to using nuclear warheads while the Soviets held the same capabilities. The thought of a major US city being flattened in a mere few seconds, let alone being attacked on home territory would be enough to deter such actions.

lol many of you think im a commie..

that is cool, nothing wrong with being called that, but how can i be one when my ideas are capatalist and i have always believed in the capatalist system

about the united-statesvs china or unitedstates allies with china

at this moment china and united states have a mutual relationship, each country is somewhat depended on each other. Americans earning alot of money while chinese have employment and development, alls well

lol, if china takes back taiwan, id like to see if americans have the guts to defend the rebels

I don't forsee the Chinese taking back Taiwan any time soon. Any attack on Taiwan by the Chinese would probably cause economic sanctions and China would not want that at all.

Creating economic sanctions against China would not occur because already millions of foreign investors are investing in China. If a trade bloc was to occur, the global economy would surely go through a very very turbulent time. This is known as Tit for tat policies, whose actions are to be effected by another.

I've been reading several articles of Taiwan's KMT Cheif Lein Chan visiting the mainland which made both sides to reconsider for peace talks again. There is a high hopes for a peaceful settlement between the two parties.

Report: http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=8357995

lol, if china takes back taiwan, id like to see if americans have the guts to defend the rebels

Tell that to the 7th fleet who is lurking off the coast of China, I think its the other way around bud.

Big_Z said:

Tell that to the 7th fleet who is lurking off the coast of China, I think its the other way around bud.

Currently, China does not have the full capability nor fully ready to successfully repel the 7th Fleet while holding Taiwan. But by 2030, I am quite sure the 7th Fleet would face a serious challenge if a conflict scenerio between China and the US would occur. It would result in a naval battle the likes we have never seen since World War II.

Challenging against China militarily is not a wise thing to do and I'm quite sure the Pentagon is fully aware of that.

Cabal said:
Creating economic sanctions against China would not occur because already millions of foreign investors are investing in China. If a trade bloc was to occur, the global economy would surely go through a very very turbulent time. This is known as Tit for tat policies, whose actions are to be effected by another.

I've been reading several articles of Taiwan's KMT Cheif Lein Chan visiting the mainland which made both sides to reconsider for peace talks again. There is a high hopes for a peaceful settlement between the two parties.

Report: http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=8357995
Sanctions happened before and they can happen again. It seems unlikely that the entire West is ready to jump into a fight with China, however an invasion of Taiwan would tend to confirm many nations fears about China: that it is still a dangerous aggressor nation. China has a lot more to lose that anyone else. Reputation and their booming market economy. Don't be so quick to discount the idea of sanctions being used. Don't be too quick to assume that sanctions is the worst that can happen, though it probably is if there is absolutely no cause for worry of further Chinese aggression.

Millions invested by Westerners and others .... well those parties knew that they were investing in a potential bust. They knew in advance that if relations between their nations and China went to hell in a hand basket, they'd probably lose everything they invested. All investors who were not aware of the small chance of losing everything on the investing into China are incredibly naive (if they even exist ... doubty it).

Make no mistake, if its Japan that is being attacked, every Western power goes to war with China over it. That is one thing that is quite clear I should hope.

All investors who were not aware of the small chance of losing everything on the investing into China are incredibly naive (if they even exist ... doubty it).

Yes there are many firms who do this. Some firms transfer most of their operations to these locations. If they were to lose all of this....well....it would be a huge loss which most firms don't want to see.

Right, they knew that they stood to make a ton of money if everything went well. That's how you rapidly grow your business: Taking risks. Still, the people with all the money tied up in China are not in a position to stop their governments from imposing sanctions, and their government leaders would look very corrupt if there was any chance of the press coming out with "Prime Minister Bob turns a blind eye to Taiwan invasion to feed his greed for illegal bribes."

Ultimately you are correct in the statement that it would be a huge loss in trade for everyone. But it just so happens that the USA and her allies are not motivated only by money. There is also the part where self interest and general ethics dictate that keeping China in check if and when she turns aggressive is a good idea. Doing nothing could be seen as completely stupid.

A military blockade seems to be the only reasonable option for a response if anything should happen although I do not agree the idea of an Economic Sanction. An Economic Sanction would not simply stop China. Thus it is very difficult to impose one as well.

Sanctions are an interesting tool. It has not proven to be an effective means of getting nations to alter their behavior. Cuba, North Korea and Iraq are some good examples of sanctions not accomplishing anything terribly useful. Regardless of prior results (or lack of results), they get used anyway ... as though this time sanctions will actually get the desired results. But its a method of declaring outrage without going to war ...

One of the things that your dead right on: Imposing economic sanctions on China would be the biggest case ever tried. It would be a nightmare to have to police. Heck, even a small player like Iraq cheated their way around sanctions via the oil for food program.

what chinese leaders got is guts and smarts

however when these two are put together it either results in a perfect plan or 2 very different solutions that will either result in failure or success

well, i can pretty much tell you that desperately china will use force, we have got the guts to do so, such as in the korean war

the us must realize this, that china has the guts to attack

MadeInChina said:
the us must realize this, that china has the guts to attack

Yes, a nation always has the guts to attack another nation if that nation's leaders show disregard to human life or the after effects of war, which is the ultimate tragedy a human community can experience.

For me, China has a great opportunity to become one of earth greatest countries (it is already one of earths greatest nations) but investing heavily in armaments and adopting a gung-ho bullying attitude, on the long run this will only polarize affairs and reduce its overall economical and cultural development possibilities.

If one wants to see what happens when a nation works hard without going the military way, look at Japan, the world's most advanced and rich country.

dude, a large country like china deserves to have a large army, right now its economy is ahead of its military, thus with economy military needs to boom too

China and U.S are just too closely connected

if U.S sanctions CHina, China suffers like hell, lose jobs lose investment

but americans will face 180$jeans (according to Wal-Mart manager's word in newest Time magazine) or american companies will also lose a huge huge huge market of 1.3 billion people...

dont worry ppl, Chinese leaders today are not a bunch of peasant rioter anymore, 8 out of 9 top leaders hold unversity degree (during their time, going to university was really really hard, they must all be damn smart).

and they got tens of thousands of advisers to help them (CHinese Prime MInister's top aids have weekly brainstorm meetings with China's top economists, and they wrote pretty good and frank articles about CHinese economy's problems, I read it personally in Inner Reference magazines)

Back